Cheesecake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I found a recipe for a cheesecake that is exactly like the one I recall making. I'd like to make it again for Thanksgiving. It calls for ricotta, cream cheese, and sour cream; all are mixed in the batter. The only thing it doesn't have is a recipe for a crust.

I've found recipes for graham cracker crusts specifically for cheesecakes; however the problem I've encountered here is that the crusts are big enough to fit the bottom and sides of a 9" springform pan. The recipe I have calls for the use of
a 10" springform pan. How do I alter the measurements so that
the graham cracker crust will fit a 10" springform? By this I mean, how much do I need to increase the measurements by?

I'm really not good at playing it by ear with cooking; food just doesn't seem to taste as good
when I try it this way. I'm especially uncomfortable with the idea of being
imprecise with baking, as you need to be precise with the ingredients you're measuring. Here's the link for the cheesecake I'd like to make.

I've also provided links for the graham cracker crust recipes. One specifies to press the mixture on the bottom and 1/3 of the way up the sides of the springform. Does this really matter or can I just press the graham cracker crumbs all
the way up the sides?

http://www.recipezaar.com/Basic-Graham-Cracker-Crust-63068

Best Ever Ricotta Cheesecake Recipe @ CDKitchen.com :: it's what's cooking online!

To convert from a 9 inch to a 10 inch springform pan, increase the recipe by 1/2. You will find this to be true of the filling as well. I use a 10 inch springform pan myself and had the recipe for a 9 inch pan. I've been doing this for a good number of years now.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Oh, Goodweed, I just did a search and found one you had the same advise in.
(I don't think enough people are using the search box these days) I found 3, but stopped there.
Either type in the titles I've given, or just type in cheesecake in the search box.
There are NUMEROUS threads on cheesecake.
"Calling all cheesecake chefs".
"Cheesecake Challenge"
Rec:Over-The-Top Cheesecake, Literally TNT
Hope that helps.

Did you get there by calculations or did you just try stuff few times? Just wondering.

There must be a simple mathematical calculation to figure that one out, I just can't think of it.

I make 10" cheesecakes with a GC crust.

Here are my measures:

2⅓ C Graham Cracker Crumbs
(⅔ of a 14-15 Oz. Box)
¼ C Sugar
½ C Unsalted Butter, melted

Did you get there by calculations or did you just try stuff few times? Just wondering.

There must be a simple mathematical calculation to figure that one out, I just can't think of it.

(pi X (r^2)) X height of cylinder = volume of the cylinder. So if a 9 inch diameter by 2 inch height pan takes up 127.25 cubic inches (which it does), and a ten inch diameter pan of the same height takes up 157 cubic inches, then the 10 inch pan is 23% greater volume than is the 9 inch pan. Therefore, you need 23% more ingredient for the 10 inch pan. When you work out all of the ingredients, it actually comes to making the ingredients 1/4 again as large. The half again size makes a slightly thicker cheesecake, but that still fits the pan. I also found that you need to decrease the cooking temp by 25 degrees and increase the cooking time by 15 to 10 minutes.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

(pi X (r^2)) X height of cylinder = volume of the cylinder. So if a 9 inch diameter by 2 inch height pan takes up 127.25 cubic inches (which it does), and a ten inch diameter pan of the same height takes up 157 cubic inches, then the 10 inch pan is 23% greater volume than is the 9 inch pan. Therefore, you need 23% more ingredient for the 10 inch pan. When you work out all of the ingredients, it actually comes to making the ingredients 1/4 again as large. The half again size makes a slightly thicker cheesecake, but that still fits the pan. I also found that you need to decrease the cooking temp by 25 degrees and increase the cooking time by 15 to 10 minutes.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Well alrighty then! :huh:

Back
Top Bottom