Cheesecake Options - Frank you out there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
I just read through my Fine Cooking magazine and drooled all over the cheesecake section. OK, it has several sections of what to add to the basic recipe and I am just considering my options.

Optional section 1 talks about subbing out one of the 8oz blocks of cream cheese with stuff like chocolate, dulce de leche, fruit puree, mascarpone etc.

Optional section 2 talks about flavorings like citrus zest, instant coffee, peanut butter or liqueurs.

Then there is a spice section, and a topping section (ganache, caramel and fruit) and a garnish section.

I'm overwhelmed. I'm leaning toward caramel and chocolate combos, or staying simple with a classic cheesecake and offering optional toppings.

Should I go with a caramel cheesecake and a chocolate ganache topping or a chocolate cheesecake with caramel topping? Classic cheesecake would have fresh strawberries and a strawberry puree to be topping, or the chocolate ganache, or blueberries that I've cooked up.

Help? Ideas?

My mom used to make one with a swirl of orange flavored filling though the regular.... it had orange zest and extra vanilla and tasted a lot like an Orange Julius :)

Last edited:
Thanks ladies. 1 vote classic, one vote orange julius.

Janet, the orange julius one...was it a light cheesecake or a NY style?

Hers was somewhere in the middle. It had two "layers" The bottom was fairly traditional NY style.. the upper layer was about 30 percent of the total height of the cake and was lighter/tangier sort of, I think it had sour cream in it?

She usually used a graham cracker crust but only on the bottom - never the sides. Sometimes she used those nabisco chocolate wafers to make crust instead. Sorry I can;t be more specific - I don't have the recipe - only the memory of eating it... it was my fave. She made other flavors of cheese cake as well but this one was outstanding.

I do remember that the swirl was the same recipe as the base ((plus the flavor enhancements). She would pour it onto both layers and then drag a teaspoon through the swirl to distribute - sort of the way you make a marble cake swirl.

Attachments

• cokie.JPG
    cokie.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Any idea how she made the orange stuff? Orange syrup somehow?

My mom used to make this orange fluff pie thing with orange juice and marshmallows.

My tastes for cheese cake are pretty simple. A nice basic cheese cake (I prefer cherry) with some sort of fruit or a chocolate cheese cake are just fine with me.

Any idea how she made the orange stuff? Orange syrup somehow?

My mom used to make this orange fluff pie thing with orange juice and marshmallows.

I never saw a marshmallow in her kitchen - ever... if I had to GUESS....

I'd say she took some of the basic recipe and added ground orange zest, orange extract, vanilla and maybe some nutmeg. Since hers (just the swirl) was also noticeably orange colored, I bet there was a drop of orange food color as well.

Another vote for classic.

OK, I think I'm going for classic, but will have several options for toppings.

How about:

Cherry
Strawberry
Blueberry
Chocolate ganache
Caramel

I never saw a marshmallow in her kitchen - ever... if I had to GUESS....

I'd say she took some of the basic recipe and added ground orange zest, orange extract, vanilla and maybe some nutmeg. Since hers (just the swirl) was also noticeably orange colored, I bet there was a drop of orange food color as well.

I'm going to experiment with this one the next time. I think I'll do orange zest and some orange syrup and see what comes up. Wanna come be a taste tester?

I'm going to experiment with this one the next time. I think I'll do orange zest and some orange syrup and see what comes up. Wanna come be a taste tester?

Maybe ... after you've perfected it. Looooong drive :chef:

No kidding. How will I know if I've perfected it though? ;)

OK, so bottom was NY style, then an orangy bit, then a lighter layer (possibly a whipped cheesecake?) with an orange swirl through it?

Any thoughts on the toppings? I don't want to have too much out there. Cheesecake is going into the oven.

I really like the simple Philly recipe with a simple raspberry topping.

Frozen raspberries, lemon juice (and zest if available), and raw sugar. I prefer mine a little on the tart side so I usually let it reduce as much as possible and concentrate the lemon.

You can always do the sauce on the side for those weird folks that only like plain cheesecake (like my dad).

I just used up the last of my raspberries so its going to be strawberry today. There were bunches of really beautiful berries at the store yesterday. Going to do chocolate too.

This is probably late, but I did a cheesecake recently for a customer and it was a chocolate crust, a layer of caramel on top of the crust, NY style cheesecake and a drizzle of chocolate ganache on the top. They were very pleased. I also did a bowl of strawberries macerated with a bit of dark brown sugar and balsamic vinegar to serve as an option with the cheesecake.

I like to start with the NY version and use simple variations.

Janet, the orange sounds great!

Oh you guys are the best! Laurie, I love the caramel bit on the bottom, good idea.
Merstar, those are going in my files now too. Thanks!

My favorites to make and eat as well are classic NY style and pumpkin. I've made white chocolate raspberry and triple chocolate as well but everyone usually likes the original best. Also orange zest will give plenty of orange flavor, but I prefer it without. Matter of fact my regular NY recipe calls for orange and maybe lemon zest too but I always leave it out.

How do you do the white chocolate raspberry? Add white chocolate into the batter and bake? Raspberry topping?

Back
Top Bottom