"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 07-05-2006, 04:21 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn
thanks, i may have underfold the batter.

and the whipped whites bends a little when the whisks were lifted. I may have underbeaten it.. i added sugar gradually , by the time i was finished adding the sugar, i immediately stop the whipping because i'm afraid of overbeating the eggwhites :)
Noticed from your pics, the bottom appears denser - or is it my eyes? Will try to troubleshoot. The batter should be incorporated, nothing should be left at the bottom of the bowl, and the whites should form peaks (according to the two recipes I looked at below & from souffles that I have made) - rather than foamy.

For the bain marie - did you use boiling wate, rather than warm water? Noticed the two recipes call for whole milk - rather than 2% - that may make a difference. It should be a little wiggly/custardy-like (from my experience). Also, incorprate the mixtures gently - I think the reason being you don't want to burst the air bubbles.

Mine has puffed up in a dome (mushroom like), and fallen a wee bit, but not by much. Noticed you said you lowered the temp & inserted a toothpick. Just my opinion, I would keep it at a consistent temp (unless the recipe calls for lowering temp), & no toothpick. Another thought - was the oven preheated?

There are some good tips in both the recipe links - one having to do with the gas vent when cooking with a bain marie. Make sure no yolks get into the whites - it inhibits the rising. Beaters and bowls should be clean. I bring my eggs to room temp - the whites seems to form peaks more easily. Never used cream of tarter - the whites, apparently, were stiff enough. Taking a guess, was the pan large enough to let the souffle expand? The sunken part, makes me wonder after it rose, did it then collapse into itself. Take a look at the two links below, there are some good tips humidity etc. Hope that helps.

http://www.kyokoskitchen.com/recipes...fflecheesecake

http://starbulletin.com/2004/04/14/f...s/request.html

For Beating the Whites:

http://www.baking911.com/howto/egg_whites_beat.htm

This recipe is a little different - not a souffle. I noticed the bain marie water is warm, but it calls for cake flour -- more like a cake, than souffle, IMHO:

http://home.earthlink.net/~sugoodswe...heesecake.html

Don't give up. Give it another go. To me, a souffle is worth the effort. THE Ultimate dessert :-)

Old 07-06-2006, 01:04 AM   #12
Cook

mish I use a steam method. I place a pan of cold water on the lowest rack while i preheat the oven. And by the time i place the cakes, i add boiling water into the pan I didn't insert a toothpick to check if its done. i just estimated 1 hr 15min of baking time since its the time used by the poster of the recipe The cake rose at 30min, and more at 45min, then decreased in sized after 45min until the end of the baking time.. it stayed decreased in size. I let it cool in oven door slightly open, then i took a peek after a few min and was suprpised to see the sunken cake Thanks for the links, i'll have a look on those! :)

Old 07-06-2006, 09:02 AM   #13
Senior Cook

a souffle made correctly should NOT fall
Old 07-06-2006, 09:28 AM   #14
Senior Cook

How did it taste? It looks good to me. I also though souffles are supposed to fall in the middle.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:52 PM   #15
Cook

I've never made a souffle. Was wondering if humidity is a factor as I live in a very humid climate. Also, is the type of cheesecake pictured considered a souffle? I was a little confused here.
I'd like to try to make something like the dessert pictured.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:15 AM   #16
Cook

southerncooker, it has a fluffy top, while the bottom is more custardy/eggy. Didnt' taste like the regular cheesecake. :)

Why don't you give it a try :)
Old 07-12-2006, 04:21 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Beautiful.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:02 PM   #18
Senior Cook

WOW!!! japanese cheesecake souffle. Sounds difficult to do. The cross-section of the slice looks more dense at the lower half. Did you whip that portion more vigorously than the top half ?
Old 07-15-2006, 08:34 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
The bottom looks undercooked to me, perhaps too cool of an oven -- check it with a good thermometer. However, all cheesecakes I've ever made do collapse in the center -- it's normal.

Problem could also be the egg whites not being fully beaten. But 8 to 10 minutes for soft peaks, especially with cream of tarter added, sounds excessive. By then, the peaks should be very stiff. But you say they aren't all being whipped, that some of the whites remain in the bottom of the bowl. That's just WRONG!

Are you using a Kitchenaid mixer? They look nice and are very trendy, but in my opinion, they're highly overrated, precisely for the reason you mention: the beaters don't come close to the bottom of the bowl, leaving large amounts of unbeaten ingredients. I sold mine on eBay and bought a Sunbeam Mixmaster, an updated version of my mother's stand mixer -- problem solved.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:56 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Once I baked souffles in a muffin pan and they rose real high and beautiful like. But because the suggested baking time had not yet been met, I left them in. The next time I went to check they had all fallen looking just like yours ! ew. I mixed the filling in two batches. The bottom layer was with raspberry extract and the top layer with cocoa. They were ugly as sin but very tasty. I think by over baking them caused the resulting collapse, not sure. Also, the first layer was mixed in a blender and the second by hand and the cross-section looked just like yours with the bottom being more dense than the top.

Tags
None