Cheesecake question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callmaker60

Senior Cook
Looking for opinions on bottom crust for cheese cake, some youtube video, show bake the bottom crust for 15 min, cool then fill, others show make the bottom crust, pour your filling in and bake. Is either way acceptable, or one way better over the other?

Looking for opinions on bottom crust for cheese cake, some youtube video, show bake the bottom crust for 15 min, cool then fill, others show make the bottom crust, pour your filling in and bake. Is either way acceptable, or one way better over the other?

I have found that baking with the filling is better. When you bake the crust first, then put it back into the oven with the filling, the crust can be over baked. If you choose to bake it first I would only do so for 10 minutes. The crust will be set and will stay in one piece. Just make sure when you add the filling, do it very carefully so as to not disturb the crust. :angel:

thanks Addie, what you say makes sense, that's what i'll do.

You are most welcome. I make several different cheesecakes all year long for my family. I always have to make a pumpkin cheesecake for my son-in-law and then a smaller chocolate chip for my grandson. And of course his sister wants a pineapple one. That is just at Thanksgiving. Then I have to repeat all three each time one of them has a birthday. And of course I can't forget my daughter. She loves a regular one with blueberries on it. Each one gets a different crust. :angel:

I have a cheesecake recipe that calls for baking the crust first then filling it. It always comes out great and I get rave reviews. Bottom line is that either way can work. Follow a good recipe and you should be fine.

I like to press teh crust into the sprinform pan and set it into the freezer for ten minutes or so. This allows the butter to harden and hold all of the graham cracker crumbs in place. i then add the filling and bake according to recipe instructions. I don't immerse the pan in water and the end result is perfect.

There are so many TnT techniques for cheesecakes, depending on size, whether or not the filling is more like a eggy custard, or a creamy filling, back, or no-bake, does it have fruit in it, how accurate your oven temperature is, etc.

I make a ten inch, rather than 8 or nine inch cheesecake. It takes long to bake and so I don't blind-bake the crust as it will be scorched by the time the custard is set. The cold pan helps as well.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind fo the North

Back
Top Bottom