"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 03-08-2008, 04:43 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Cheesecake suggestions?

Well, I've been charged with making a cheesecake-and while past attempts have'nt been complete failures, there have been a few problems. Cracked (still tasted good though), kind of "wet" inside, you know, the usual.

I've got a well worn springform pan, and no matter how well I think I've wrapped it, it still seems to leak in the water bath. I saw Alton Brown making cheesecake in a 9"x3" aluminum cakepan, and it seemed like a good idea at the time, now I'm wondering if I'll be able to get the cake out, then invert it again (because the crust will be on the top when I invert it out of the pan)without breaking it

Any thoughts on this method, in addition to any suggestions you may have, will be greatly appreciated

and if it makes a difference,I'll be attempting a "NY/Mile high" style cheesecake

Old 03-08-2008, 04:48 PM   #2
Hospitality Queen

I'm no cheesecake expert (except in the devouring part), but I'd think that if you were in need to serve it upside down, with the crust on the top, it might be kind of a fun twist. I think I'd have a crust or chocolate disc on which to place the cheesecake, then perhaps top it with strawberry slices & a thin glaze;)

Old 03-08-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
Sous Chef

You know, that is kind of a fun idea, but I just know deep inside my twisted psyche, theres a part of me that won't be satisfied until its either rightside up or on the floor!!!
Old 03-08-2008, 06:43 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
How about making a "sling" out of foil lining the length of the pan so you can lift the cake out of the pan? Just be sure to run a knife around the perimeter before trying to remove the cake so it will loosen from the sides.

I've never had any problem with water entering my pan even with a wrapping of foil. Maybe you could place the pan into an oven-cooking bag instead of foil. Just tighten the bag around the outside edge of the pan with a strip of foil so it won't slip down into the water.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:10 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Both excellent ideas, Katie ! I knew if I threw it out onto DC someone much smarter than me would chime in!!

I've got to pull the trigger on this thing tonite-I've got about four hours before I have to get it into the oven. I'll let you know how it works out!!!!! Thanks Again
Old 03-09-2008, 12:23 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Just pulled my cheesecake from the fridge-beautiful color, tall....and in pieces. I should have left it upside-down. Just took it out to the trashbefore someone sees it. Going out to buy one-and I'm through kidding myself-I am really done with Cheesecake forever.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:20 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke king View Post
Well, I've been charged with making a cheesecake-and while past attempts have'nt been complete failures, there have been a few problems. Cracked (still tasted good though), kind of "wet" inside, you know, the usual.

I've got a well worn springform pan, and no matter how well I think I've wrapped it, it still seems to leak in the water bath. I saw Alton Brown making cheesecake in a 9"x3" aluminum cakepan, and it seemed like a good idea at the time, now I'm wondering if I'll be able to get the cake out, then invert it again (because the crust will be on the top when I invert it out of the pan)without breaking it

Any thoughts on this method, in addition to any suggestions you may have, will be greatly appreciated

and if it makes a difference,I'll be attempting a "NY/Mile high" style cheesecake
Wrap the outside, bottom, and sides of the springform with two layers of aluminum foil. Place baking rack in center of oven and place cheesecake in center of middle oven rack. Place a shallow pan full of water on the lower rack in the oven. The water helps to minimize cracking in the top of the cheesecake. After removing from the oven & cooled on a wire rack, place foil over the pan & refrigerate. If there are cracks, not to worry. You can cover the cake w ganache or fruit. If that does not work, perhaps buy a newer pan. There are leak-proof & nonstick pans. Try a google. Good luck. Don't give up on cheesecake.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:41 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Amy is right. Don't give up. But buy a new pan. I won second prize in our newspaper's annual Holiday Cookbook contest last fall and have baked cheesecakes practically forever. I have yet to put one in a water bath. There is a simple, basic recipe I use. It doesn't get very tall but everyone likes it. If you like, I will submit it here to DC.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:55 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortchef View Post
Amy is right. Don't give up. But buy a new pan. I won second prize in our newspaper's annual Holiday Cookbook contest last fall and have baked cheesecakes practically forever. I have yet to put one in a water bath. There is a simple, basic recipe I use. It doesn't get very tall but everyone likes it. If you like, I will submit it here to DC.

Yes, please post it.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:22 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

to get the cheesecake out of the pan and right side up, try this.

Assuming there is a graham cracker crust made with butter, heating the bottom of the pan to soften the butter will allow you to invert it onto a dinner plate then place a second plate or cake platter on the now exposed bottom and turn it right side up.

If you saw the Good Eats chesecake episode, you saw that he heated the cheesecake in the pan on the stovetop for 10 seconds to soften the butter.

To avoid cracking, do not over beat the batter and cool the cooked cheesecake slowly. Some recipes call for you to cook the full time then turn off the oven and leave it for an hour or more so it cools gradually. Once out of the oven, cool it to room temperature then refrigerate overnight.

If the center is still soft, it was not cooked long enough.

Tags
None