Cheesecake suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoke king

Sous Chef
Well, I've been charged with making a cheesecake-and while past attempts have'nt been complete failures, there have been a few problems. Cracked (still tasted good though), kind of "wet" inside, you know, the usual.

I've got a well worn springform pan, and no matter how well I think I've wrapped it, it still seems to leak in the water bath. I saw Alton Brown making cheesecake in a 9"x3" aluminum cakepan, and it seemed like a good idea at the time, now I'm wondering if I'll be able to get the cake out, then invert it again (because the crust will be on the top when I invert it out of the pan)without breaking it

Any thoughts on this method, in addition to any suggestions you may have, will be greatly appreciated:chef:

and if it makes a difference,I'll be attempting a "NY/Mile high" style cheesecake

I'm no cheesecake expert (except in the devouring part), but I'd think that if you were in need to serve it upside down, with the crust on the top, it might be kind of a fun twist. I think I'd have a crust or chocolate disc on which to place the cheesecake, then perhaps top it with strawberry slices & a thin glaze;)

You know, that is kind of a fun idea, but I just know deep inside my twisted psyche, theres a part of me that won't be satisfied until its either rightside up or on the floor!!!:LOL:

How about making a "sling" out of foil lining the length of the pan so you can lift the cake out of the pan? Just be sure to run a knife around the perimeter before trying to remove the cake so it will loosen from the sides.

I've never had any problem with water entering my pan even with a wrapping of foil. Maybe you could place the pan into an oven-cooking bag instead of foil. Just tighten the bag around the outside edge of the pan with a strip of foil so it won't slip down into the water.

Both excellent ideas, Katie ! I knew if I threw it out onto DC someone much smarter than me would chime in!!

I've got to pull the trigger on this thing tonite-I've got about four hours before I have to get it into the oven. I'll let you know how it works out!!!!! Thanks Again:)

Just pulled my cheesecake from the fridge-beautiful color, tall....and in pieces. I should have left it upside-down. Just took it out to the trash:mad:before someone sees it. Going out to buy one-and I'm through kidding myself-I am really done with Cheesecake forever.

Well, I've been charged with making a cheesecake-and while past attempts have'nt been complete failures, there have been a few problems. Cracked (still tasted good though), kind of "wet" inside, you know, the usual.

I've got a well worn springform pan, and no matter how well I think I've wrapped it, it still seems to leak in the water bath. I saw Alton Brown making cheesecake in a 9"x3" aluminum cakepan, and it seemed like a good idea at the time, now I'm wondering if I'll be able to get the cake out, then invert it again (because the crust will be on the top when I invert it out of the pan)without breaking it

Any thoughts on this method, in addition to any suggestions you may have, will be greatly appreciated:chef:

and if it makes a difference,I'll be attempting a "NY/Mile high" style cheesecake

Wrap the outside, bottom, and sides of the springform with two layers of aluminum foil. Place baking rack in center of oven and place cheesecake in center of middle oven rack. Place a shallow pan full of water on the lower rack in the oven. The water helps to minimize cracking in the top of the cheesecake. After removing from the oven & cooled on a wire rack, place foil over the pan & refrigerate. If there are cracks, not to worry. You can cover the cake w ganache or fruit. If that does not work, perhaps buy a newer pan. There are leak-proof & nonstick pans. Try a google. Good luck. Don't give up on cheesecake. :)

Last edited:
Amy is right. Don't give up. But buy a new pan. I won second prize in our newspaper's annual Holiday Cookbook contest last fall and have baked cheesecakes practically forever. I have yet to put one in a water bath. There is a simple, basic recipe I use. It doesn't get very tall but everyone likes it. If you like, I will submit it here to DC.

Amy is right. Don't give up. But buy a new pan. I won second prize in our newspaper's annual Holiday Cookbook contest last fall and have baked cheesecakes practically forever. I have yet to put one in a water bath. There is a simple, basic recipe I use. It doesn't get very tall but everyone likes it. If you like, I will submit it here to DC.

Yes, please post it.:):)

to get the cheesecake out of the pan and right side up, try this.

Assuming there is a graham cracker crust made with butter, heating the bottom of the pan to soften the butter will allow you to invert it onto a dinner plate then place a second plate or cake platter on the now exposed bottom and turn it right side up.

If you saw the Good Eats chesecake episode, you saw that he heated the cheesecake in the pan on the stovetop for 10 seconds to soften the butter.

To avoid cracking, do not over beat the batter and cool the cooked cheesecake slowly. Some recipes call for you to cook the full time then turn off the oven and leave it for an hour or more so it cools gradually. Once out of the oven, cool it to room temperature then refrigerate overnight.

If the center is still soft, it was not cooked long enough.

WOW!! This is why I love DC so much-great people willing to help out just for the sake of helping out!!

By all means shortchef, post your recipe-I would love to try it!! (I'll likely wait a while though):LOL:

Thanks to each and every one of you-I sincerely appreciate your encouragement and your help-You guys/gals are great!!!

Please don't give up. There is nothing like a homemade cheesecake and the satisfaction one gets when it is devoured.
Why not just leave the cake on the insert of the springform pan instead of having to move it around? Then when it's all done, take back the bottom?
Maybe you should try another recipe? If the cheesecake batter is leaking into the water even if it's wrapped, it sounds like the batter may be too thin especially when it has to go through a crust layer as well.

This recipe has good instructions:

Ingredients

Cake dough:
butter for the pan or grease-proof paper
1/4 C. almonds, walnuts or hazelnuts (or both)
1/4 C. butter
1/3 C. wholemeal Rusk/Zweiback
1/4 C. sugar

Cheese filling:
6 C. cream cheese
1 1/2 C. sugar
1/4 C. sour cream
1/8 C. flour
zests of 1 orange and 1 lemon
1 Tbs. lemon juice
2 tsp. vanilla essence
2 egg yolks
5 eggs (medium size)

glaze:
1 C. sour cream
1 tsp. sugar

topping:
1 3/4 C. strawberries
1 3/4 C. strawberry mousse

Directions

Grease a springform pan with smooth butter. Roast the nuts in a pan without any oil, leave them to cool down, and chop them in a food processor. Melt the butter. Chop the rusk in the food processor and mix it with sugar, the nuts and the melted butter. Coat the bottom of the pan with this mixture evenly, apply a foil and press on with your fingers. Remove the foil.

Preheat your oven to 275 degrees with air circulation (fan assisted/convection oven).

Stir the cream cheese and add sugar, sour cream, flour, lemon- and orange zests, lemon juice and vanilla essence one thing at a time. Stir in the eggs and egg yolks one by one. Fill this batter into the pan and smooth down. Insert the pan on the bottom-most grid of your oven.

Bake it for 20 minutes, then remove it from the oven. Loosen the batter's border around the pan by using a thin knife. Leave the pan outside the oven for about 20 minutes, then carry on baking it for just under 2 hours. The interruption makes the cheesecake more even. Keep its color light by covering the pan with an oiled baking foil after 50 minutes. Rotate the pan on the grid if your oven doesn't keep the temperature evenly.

After the second baking period, remove the cake from the oven and let it rest for 20 minutes
Increase the temperature to 320 degrees with air circulation (fan assisted/convection oven).

Mix sour cream and sugar, pour over the cake, smooth down and bake it for another 15-20 minutes. Then remove from the oven and leave it to cool down in the springform pan.
Chill it in the fridge until the following day.

Before serving, heat the pan's bottom on a hotplate for just a few seconds. This makes it easier to let it slide on to a serving plate.

Top with strawberries, and pour strawberry mousse over each slice.

I guess a cheesecake is a matter of personal preference. DH and I like our cheesecake creamy and not so dense, so I use this recipe that includes not so much cream cheese and some sour cream instead. The last time I made it (last week), I swirled some mango puree through it and topped it with mango as well, then dollops of whipped cream around the edges. I've also made it with caramel and chocolate...very good. Before I put the pan together, I cut a circle of parchment about an inch larger than the pan and put that in the bottom.Then, the bottom comes off easily for plating. I don't use a water bath and have no problems with cracking, but that is probably because our climate here is so humid and the gas oven generates more humidity as well. Here is the recipe I use:

OUR FAVORITE CHEESECAKE

INGREDIENTS FOR CRUST:
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (or other cookie/biscuit crumbs)
3 tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup melted butter

Filling:
3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups sour cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a medium bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, 3 tablespoons sugar, and melted butter Mix all ingredients well and press into bottom and sides of a 9 inch springform pan.

In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Blend in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla and salt. Fold in the sour cream. Pour batter into springform pan. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour. Turn off oven and leave cake in for at least 30 minutes.

Let cool at room temp for about an hour, then run knife around sides to loosen.Chill in refrigerator until serving and/or decorating.

I was recently told to leave the cheesecake in the oven overnight to avoid cracking. This seemed crazy to me but I was desperate to have an uncracked cheesecake. It actually worked. I turned the oven off after an hour of baking and did not open the oven at all overnight. This was the hardest part, i think its human nature to want to open the oven and poke at your creation. In the morning, i put the cheesecake in the fridge and we ate it that night. It was so pretty i almost didnt want to cut into it.

Gosh, it seems to me that a gradually cooling oven for that length of time would provide a great incubator for bacteria in a product that is rich in dairy and eggs. I'm glad you didn't get sick, Court-cakes, but I would never do that. Oh - and welcome to DC! You are going to like it here.

Smoke King,
Next time don't throw it out I saw an episode where they had halved
strawberries added a little sugar (can add a little liquor) and then
scooped cheesecake on top of it like ice cream. A little of the sauce on
top. It looked great. It was a little odd to see him scoop the cheesecake
but I bet the dessert was good.

I originally bought one of these silicone cake pans for my cheesecakes, but they were too flimsy. Now I use the removable bottom cake pan and I slip it into the silicone one so I can set it in the waterbath without water getting into it. I'm not bragging (well, maybe just a bit), but my cheesecake took the blue ribbon at the Orange County Fair 2 years ago.

Last edited:
I take the easy way out. I make a vanilla/ chocolate marble cheesecake and just use a premade graham crust. Very simple, few ingredients and is a hit every time, without the hassle of wrestling it out of the spring pan.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom