"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 06-02-2004, 11:00 AM   #11
Everymom

Hi Chinachef...here is an easy and foolproof cheesecake recipe. I hope you can find sweetened condensed milk there.

Use whatever base you normally use...graham crumbs or shortbread base.

Filling:

2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
1 (14 ounce) can of sweetened condensed milk NOT EVAPORATED MILK!
3 eggs
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 (8 ounce) container sour cream

In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Gradually add condensed milk, beat until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, then the lemon juice. Mix well and pour into your pan.

Bake at 300 for 50 to 55 minutes or until set.

Top with sour cream and bake for 5 more minutes.

Cool and serve with your favourite topping.

If you want a New York style cheesecake then Increase the cream cheese to 4 packages and the eggs to 4 eggs. Proceed as directed and add 2 tablespoons of flour after the eggs. Bake for 70 to 75 minutes and omit the sour cream step. Cool and serve with topping.

Good luck.

Old 06-02-2004, 09:56 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

cheese cake-another opinion

I was a pastry chef and on every menu is a good cheesecake, ya know! Here are some tips, I learned (the hard way)

Melt the butter BEFORE mixing into the cracker crumbs
Have your cream cheese, eggs and sour cream room temperature. You do this so that you don't have to beat so much air into the mix trying to get it smooth. The key is to NOT beat it too much.
Baking...place in cold oven. Bake in a water bath. Make sure that you wrap your spring form pan bottom up with aluminum foil so that no water gets into it. Turn oven to 325 F. Bake for one hour. Shut off oven. Let sit for 30 minutes, pull from oven. Cool, release from springform pan. Best to let sit in cooler overnight. To cut, run knife under hot water with each cut.

chefmom

Old 06-03-2004, 09:47 PM   #13
Cook

Send a message via MSN to flame Send a message via Yahoo to flame
cheesecake to die for chinachef,or anyone

Old 06-04-2004, 12:28 AM   #14
Everymom

Ruth, thanks for the tips. I will try those the next time I do cheesecake. Sounds wonderful.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:24 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
chinachef,

I'm so sorry I haven't posted the recipe of the Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake I told you about. I typed it all out on Wednesday night and when I pressed the submit button my computer had already booted me out. I'm under a firewall that doesn't allow me to be on the internet when there's a virus threat. Anyway, so much for that. I'll post it very soon - again; I promise.

Alix and Susan (flame aka crazy red head),

Your recipes sounds wonderful and I've already printed them out to bake me some of your cheesecakes. Mmmmmmm, they sounds yummy.

Dina
Old 09-12-2004, 08:48 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

My cheesecakes always come out very smooth & creamy. Here are a few things that I do that might make a difference:

1. Eggs & creamcheese at room temp. ALWAYS. I worry a lot about food safety, so I'll bring eggs to room temp. by putting them in a bowl of hot tap water for 5-10 minutes. That's warm enough to warm them up but not cook them. I don't worry so much about letting wrapped creamcheese sit out until it's room temp, but it seems I'm pretty impatient, so generally I'll put it in an 250 degree oven for 5-10 minutes and that'll do the trick. Check it after about 5 minutes. If it gets too warm, it gets too soft.
2. I don't care what a recipe says, I always mix the ingredients in this order: cream the creamcheese on low to medium speed, adding the sugar a little at a time. Mix at low speed until smooth....probably 3-4 minutes. DON'T add the eggs until the creamcheese/sugar mixture is smooth. Add eggs one at a time to mixture, blending after each until smooth. Add any other wet ingredients at this time (jams, vanilla, liqouers, etc.). If there are any other dry ingredients such as cocoa (or flour, cornstarch...yuck, but whatever...) add them last, blending slowly until smooth.
The extra attention makes all the difference. Have fun!
Old 09-14-2004, 05:07 PM   #17
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina
chinachef,

You need some eggs in your recipe and a bit of heavy cream to make it moist. I can post some great cheese cake recipes with a twist of raspberry and strawberry baked right in them. Let me know if you'd like them.

Dina
The baked in raspberry and/or strawberry sound yummy--can you post them here?
Old 10-02-2005, 08:43 PM   #18
Everymom

Bumping this thread for anyone who wants to peruse some cheesecake recipes.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:50 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
here is an easy and foolproof cheesecake recipe. I hope you can find sweetened condensed milk there.

Use whatever base you normally use...graham crumbs or shortbread base.

Filling:

2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
1 (14 ounce) can of sweetened condensed milk NOT EVAPORATED MILK!
3 eggs
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 (8 ounce) container sour cream

In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Gradually add condensed milk, beat until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, then the lemon juice. Mix well and pour into your pan.

Bake at 300 for 50 to 55 minutes or until set.

Top with sour cream and bake for 5 more minutes.

Cool and serve with your favourite topping.

If you want a New York style cheesecake then Increase the cream cheese to 4 packages and the eggs to 4 eggs. Proceed as directed and add 2 tablespoons of flour after the eggs. Bake for 70 to 75 minutes and omit the sour cream step. Cool and serve with topping.

Good luck.
Thanks Alix! I remember you telling me how foolproof this recipe is. Will make soon...

Tags
None