Cheesecake thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my recipe

1 1/2 c Fine graham cracker crumbs
1/4 c Granulated sugar
1/2 c Butter -- softened
FILLING-----
16 oz PHILADELPHIA Cream cheese
1 c yought
2 tb Cornstarch
1 c Granulated sugar
2 tb Butter -- softened

Preheat oven to 375 F. For crust combine crumbs, sugar
and butter and mix well. Press firmly into 9" pie-pan
covering bottom only. Bake for 8 min., or until the
edges are slightly brown. Reduce oven to 350 F. For
filling, combine cheese, yought, cornstarch, and
sugar in bowl of mixer. Mix until sugar has disolved.
Add the butter .Pour the filling
over the crust. Bake for 1hr., or until knife
inserted 1" from edge comes out clean. Cool 1 hr.

Here are a a few suggestions.

First I have never used cornstarch in a cheesecake, the reason for this is corstarch absorbs ALOT of moisture from anything that you are making.

Second, whenever I make a baked cheesecake I ALWAYS use a spring form pan. I guess you could use a a pie pan but a spring form pan is always a good investment.

Third, when a cheesecake is taken out of an oven the sharp decrease in temperature ruins the texture of the cheesecake, making it dry. If you shave off a few minutes off of the baking time and instead of taking the cake out of the oven WAIT until it cools down, be sure to crack the oven door once you do this so it cools off just right.

Hope I helped!

-Thyme

This is my favorite New York style cheesecake.

INGREDIENTS

1 3/4 cups finely ground graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts (Optional, able to substitute for 1/4 cup of crumbs)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup melted butter
3 eggs
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
3 cups sour cream

DIRECTIONS

1 Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2 Mix graham cracker crumbs, walnuts, cinnamon and melted butter together. Press on bottom and sides of a 9 inch springform pan.
3 Combine 3 well-beaten eggs, cream cheese, sugar, salt, vanilla and almond extract. Beat until smooth. Blend in the sour cream and pour into the crumb crust.
4 Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for about 35 minutes or just till set. Cool. Chill well, about 4 or 5 hours. Filling will be soft. May be served as is or topped with your favorite fruit topping or glaze.

(Recipie from www.allrecipies.com. I have tried it and it is WONDERFUL!)

Hope it turns out good!

-Thyme

In another one of your posts you asked about a yogurt substitute for the sour cream. Personally I would avoid using yogurt, I have tried it and it just dosent work as good. I have found that the best substitute for the sour cream is cottage cheese, just be sure to blend it VERY well to get out all of the lumps. The lumps should also even out in baking so dont worry if there are a few.

-Thyme

Thyme:Dry Cheesecake

Yes, use a springform pan but even if you use a pie pan (store bought graham cracker crumb crust] , just before putting into shell add 2 Tabelspoons of butter into the filling. When using a springform pan grease the whole pan, lightly before adding anything!

regards, Jack :)

chinachef,

You need some eggs in your recipe and a bit of heavy cream to make it moist. I can post some great cheese cake recipes with a twist of raspberry and strawberry baked right in them. Let me know if you'd like them.

Dina

Hi Chinachef...here is an easy and foolproof cheesecake recipe. I hope you can find sweetened condensed milk there.

Use whatever base you normally use...graham crumbs or shortbread base.

Filling:

2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
1 (14 ounce) can of sweetened condensed milk NOT EVAPORATED MILK!
3 eggs
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 (8 ounce) container sour cream

In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Gradually add condensed milk, beat until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, then the lemon juice. Mix well and pour into your pan.

Bake at 300 for 50 to 55 minutes or until set.

Top with sour cream and bake for 5 more minutes.

Cool and serve with your favourite topping.

If you want a New York style cheesecake then Increase the cream cheese to 4 packages and the eggs to 4 eggs. Proceed as directed and add 2 tablespoons of flour after the eggs. Bake for 70 to 75 minutes and omit the sour cream step. Cool and serve with topping.

Good luck.

cheese cake-another opinion

I was a pastry chef and on every menu is a good cheesecake, ya know! Here are some tips, I learned (the hard way)

Melt the butter BEFORE mixing into the cracker crumbs
Have your cream cheese, eggs and sour cream room temperature. You do this so that you don't have to beat so much air into the mix trying to get it smooth. The key is to NOT beat it too much.
Baking...place in cold oven. Bake in a water bath. Make sure that you wrap your spring form pan bottom up with aluminum foil so that no water gets into it. Turn oven to 325 F. Bake for one hour. Shut off oven. Let sit for 30 minutes, pull from oven. Cool, release from springform pan. Best to let sit in cooler overnight. To cut, run knife under hot water with each cut.

chefmom

Ruth, thanks for the tips. I will try those the next time I do cheesecake. Sounds wonderful.

chinachef,

I'm so sorry I haven't posted the recipe of the Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake I told you about. I typed it all out on Wednesday night and when I pressed the submit button my computer had already booted me out. I'm under a firewall that doesn't allow me to be on the internet when there's a virus threat. Anyway, so much for that. I'll post it very soon - again; I promise.

Alix and Susan (flame aka crazy red head), :LOL:

Your recipes sounds wonderful and I've already printed them out to bake me some of your cheesecakes. Mmmmmmm, they sounds yummy.

Dina

My cheesecakes always come out very smooth & creamy. Here are a few things that I do that might make a difference:

1. Eggs & creamcheese at room temp. ALWAYS. I worry a lot about food safety, so I'll bring eggs to room temp. by putting them in a bowl of hot tap water for 5-10 minutes. That's warm enough to warm them up but not cook them. I don't worry so much about letting wrapped creamcheese sit out until it's room temp, but it seems I'm pretty impatient, so generally I'll put it in an 250 degree oven for 5-10 minutes and that'll do the trick. Check it after about 5 minutes. If it gets too warm, it gets too soft.
2. I don't care what a recipe says, I always mix the ingredients in this order: cream the creamcheese on low to medium speed, adding the sugar a little at a time. Mix at low speed until smooth....probably 3-4 minutes. DON'T add the eggs until the creamcheese/sugar mixture is smooth. Add eggs one at a time to mixture, blending after each until smooth. Add any other wet ingredients at this time (jams, vanilla, liqouers, etc.). If there are any other dry ingredients such as cocoa (or flour, cornstarch...yuck, but whatever...) add them last, blending slowly until smooth.
The extra attention makes all the difference. Have fun!

Dina said:
chinachef,

You need some eggs in your recipe and a bit of heavy cream to make it moist. I can post some great cheese cake recipes with a twist of raspberry and strawberry baked right in them. Let me know if you'd like them.

Dina
The baked in raspberry and/or strawberry sound yummy--can you post them here?

Alix said:
here is an easy and foolproof cheesecake recipe. I hope you can find sweetened condensed milk there.

Use whatever base you normally use...graham crumbs or shortbread base.

Filling:

2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
1 (14 ounce) can of sweetened condensed milk NOT EVAPORATED MILK!
3 eggs
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 (8 ounce) container sour cream

In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Gradually add condensed milk, beat until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, then the lemon juice. Mix well and pour into your pan.

Bake at 300 for 50 to 55 minutes or until set.

Top with sour cream and bake for 5 more minutes.

Cool and serve with your favourite topping.

If you want a New York style cheesecake then Increase the cream cheese to 4 packages and the eggs to 4 eggs. Proceed as directed and add 2 tablespoons of flour after the eggs. Bake for 70 to 75 minutes and omit the sour cream step. Cool and serve with topping.

Good luck.
Thanks Alix! I remember you telling me how foolproof this recipe is.:cool: Will make soon...

Back
Top Bottom