Chocolate and Coconut or IC actually baked a cake?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ironchef

Executive Chef
I don't bake. The last time I baked something that was meant to be eaten as dessert was in culinary school, about eight years ago. My 3 1/2 year old daughter called me out. She wanted cake for dessert. I told her that I don't bake cakes. She says that mommy knows how to bake cakes :glare:. Ok, a cake throwdown it is.

Chocolate and coconut seemed like a good idea, and they go well together. So, after a quick trip to the market, a cake will cometh. I decided in the end to make a coconut sabayon, since I know how to make sabayons. Can't get too ahead myself after all. So humor me. I may actually bake more in the future. Who knows?

And to Kitchenelf: How do you like me now! :ROFLMAO:

I'm generally not a huge fan of baking either, but I have to admit that baking and patisserie do have their own sort of finesse that's required to become something amazing.

How did it turn out? For me, as long as my cakes come out moist, I count it as a win; nothing else matters at that point, LOL!

I'm generally not a huge fan of baking either, but I have to admit that baking and patisserie do have their own sort of finesse that's required to become something amazing.

How did it turn out? For me, as long as my cakes come out moist, I count it as a win; nothing else matters at that point, LOL!

It actually came out really moist. I made an eggless chocolate cake because I only had so many eggs, and I wanted to make the sabayon.

Looks good to me. I'll bet your daughter loved it!

BTW, what kind of foam did you do to go with it?

That's too cool, IC! The cake looks yummy to me. I'm really impressed with the way you plated it. I don't like icing on cake - maybe a glaze but not thick icing. It always looks a little sad but yours looks elegant. (Now I have to learn how to make a sabayon.) The big question is.... did your daughter think it compared favorably with Mommy's?

That's too cool, IC! The cake looks yummy to me. I'm really impressed with the way you plated it. I don't like icing on cake - maybe a glaze but not thick icing. It always looks a little sad but yours looks elegant. (Now I have to learn how to make a sabayon.) The big question is.... did your daughter think it compared favorably with Mommy's?

I'm not a huge fan of icing or frosting either, except for certain cakes like German chocolate or a dobash. A sabayon is similar to a hollandaise in how it's prepared. It's basically a light custard that classically was served on its own as a dessert, but I like to use it as a sauce.

LOL she said it was better than mommy's, but who knows. But I do know that mommy uses:

Back
Top Bottom