Chocolate Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicholas Mosher

Sous Chef
I'm looking for chocolate cake recipes that are good just on their own... no frosting, no extras... just chocolate cake. I want it to be dark, moist, and with that fluffy/dense oxymoron of a texture that perfect tender/flaky pie crusts sport (I hope that was clear). In other words, I want it to have rich chocolate flavor like a flour-less cake, but also the airiness of a fluffy chocolate cake. At the same time, I don't want it to be fudge-like, or pillow-like.

Another issue is the oil-factor... I don't want the cake to have an oily mouth-feel like so many recipes resort to. There is no diet issue here, just flavor, aroma, and texture.

I have a few recipes, but none of them seem perfect to me. In part it's some platonic ideal I have in my mind... but I know it must exist to some extent.

I'm open to any ideas, no matter the cost, calories, or time involved!

I'm looking for chocolate cake recipes that are good just on their own... no frosting, no extras... just chocolate cake. I want it to be dark, moist, and with that fluffy/dense oxymoron of a texture that perfect tender/flaky pie crusts sport (I hope that was clear). In other words, I want it to have rich chocolate flavor like a flour-less cake, but also the airiness of a fluffy chocolate cake. At the same time, I don't want it to be fudge-like, or pillow-like.

Another issue is the oil-factor... I don't want the cake to have an oily mouth-feel like so many recipes resort to. There is no diet issue here, just flavor, aroma, and texture.

I have a few recipes, but none of them seem perfect to me. In part it's some platonic ideal I have in my mind... but I know it must exist to some extent.

I'm open to any ideas, no matter the cost, calories, or time involved!
i have made this and it is FANTASTIC!!
Katie's Black Devil's Food Cake TNT (click here for Recipe)

i topped it with cherry pie filling but it is great without any topping. very rich chocolate flaver and supper moist!!

heres a picture of when i made it.

img_845554_0_4e3f309d9be4c1d6b105db46284b8bbc.jpg

First post in this thread is my husband's favorite cake in the world. The cake itself stands alone, and is the first part of the recipe. Its easy and easily the moistest cake I've made without adding some kind of veggie or oil to the mix. Try it.

My other suggestion would be to Google chocolate beet cake or Maritimers chocolate cake. Its the cake I ask for every year for MY birthday and its wonderful.

So I tried Katie's Black Devil's Food Cake recipe today, and served it to a couple guests (something I rarely do with a recipe I've never tested, but I tend to trust recipes here that are labeled TNT).

I was amazed at how fast the pieces disappeared! The cake is flavorful, light, and delicious. I served simple squares of it dusted with a bit of powdered sugar. There is no heaviness to it whatsoever - no gut bomb or mouth-cotton. This cake was as perfect as perfect can be for what it is - a light but flavorful chocolate cake that is incredibly easy to make and serve... I plan to make it again in the future.

I want to experiment with it a bit though. As much as I liked it, it was a bit fluffy for the cake I have pictured in my mind. I'm looking for something just a bit more dense. The flavor is definitely chocolate with that background of coffee - but it's not something that really strikes you as definitive of chocolate. This is by no means a criticism of the cake (i loved this cake, and plan to keep the recipe for quite some time) - just a comment that I'm using to define what I'm looking for compared to this recipe.

Something a bit more dense (but not like flour-less cake). I'm assuming the increase in density might also come with the greater depth of chocolate I'm looking for. Perhaps a bit less of the baking powder.

I also need to read Alix's recipe...

wow, that chocolate cake looks so good! I have to try too. Thanks.

Last edited:
This is a great cake with a velvety smooth texture, and a dark chocolate taste. I've made it countless times. I never make the fluffy white frosting, since that type of frosting is usually too sweet for me. Instead, I increase the amounts for the chocolate filling (ganache), and use it to both fill and frost the cake. In addition, I keep this as a two-layer cake instead of splitting the layers in half.

I use brewed espresso instead of coffee, and have made this with both natural and Dutch processed cocoa powder.

*Caution: use parchment paper - the cake is so moist, it will stick to the pans like glue! (Butter the pan, then butter and dust the parchment with cocoa powder).

DEVIL'S FOOD CAKE WITH FLUFFY WHITE FROSTING
Devil's Food Cake with Fluffy White Frosting at Godiva.com

Another fantastic cake is Cook's Illustrated's CHOCOLATE SOUR CREAM BUNDT CAKE. It's in between a flourless cake and one with flour, is not too sweet, and has a very deep, dark chocolate taste. No icing used - it's simply served with freshly whipped cream. Will PM the recipe to you if interested.

So I tried Katie's Black Devil's Food Cake recipe today, and served it to a couple guests (something I rarely do with a recipe I've never tested, but I tend to trust recipes here that are labeled TNT).

I also need to read Alix's recipe...
Nick, mine is DEFINITELY heavier. Its very moist and a bit dense. I don't find it gives that oily mouth feel though as the moisture comes from the boiling water bit. Let me know what you think of it.

Just wanted to mention that I haven't abandoned the thread - I'll be making another cake on Monday hopefully.

Thanks for all the recommendations so far. :)

First post in this thread is my husband's favorite cake in the world. The cake itself stands alone, and is the first part of the recipe. Its easy and easily the moistest cake I've made without adding some kind of veggie or oil to the mix. Try it.

My other suggestion would be to Google chocolate beet cake or Maritimers chocolate cake. Its the cake I ask for every year for MY birthday and its wonderful.
alix i read your recipe and it sounds yummy!! but i have questions:

3/4 cup cocoa and then fill to 1 1/2 cups with very hot water
1/2 tsp baking soda in the cocoa measuring cup pour in 1/3 cup hot water, swish around to get all the cocoa remnants out.

do you use dry cocoa powder? and if so do you measure your dry cocoa powder in a 2 cup or 4 cup liquid measuring cup?

I measure the dry cocoa in a liquid measuring cup and then fill with boiling water to make a cocoa sludge. I use a 2 cup measuring cup for that. The second step is to put the baking soda in the used measuring cup and to add 1/3 cup boiling water to that. It fizzes the soda, and gets all the last bits of chocolate goodness out of the cup.

Does that help?

I measure the dry cocoa in a liquid measuring cup and then fill with boiling water to make a cocoa sludge. I use a 2 cup measuring cup for that. The second step is to put the baking soda in the used measuring cup and to add 1/3 cup boiling water to that. It fizzes the soda, and gets all the last bits of chocolate goodness out of the cup.

Does that help?
ok i just wasn't sure. i didn't think the dry and wet measuring cups came out the same amounts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom