Chocolate Cake for all Chocoholics!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
After reading Alix talk about going to the chocolate buffet for dessert last night, I got a serious case of the chocolate cravings. I've had this recipe for about 30 years and got it from a neighbor.

Once a year my neighborhood put on a large "block" cookout. Everyone brought dishes that represented their cooking skills - or not - and their ethnic background. It was fun. Afterwards, someone was charged with getting all the recipes and compiling them into a very crude cookbook. Each family received a copy of the cookbook as a memento. When I said lack of cooking skills, one of the women brought "Addie Van Riper's Love Apples." Translated: a plate of sliced tomatoes. Addie couldn't cook. Anything.

At any rate, the cake recipe I'm sharing with you today is just sooooooo chocolatey and good it will satisfy just about any chocolate craving. Enjoy!

FINISTER’S CHOCOLATE CAKE SUPREME
(Serves 10 to 12)

1 (2-layer) pkg. Duncan Hines
devils food cake mix
1 pkg. Betty Crocker fudge frosting
mix
1 (8-oz.) pkg. cream cheese,
softened
1 (6-oz.) pkg. semi-sweet
chocolate chips
1 tsp. real vanilla extract
½ tsp. salt
1 egg
1/3 cup granulated sugar
½ cup chopped nuts

Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour into a well greased and floured tube pan, not a bundt pan. Set aside. In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, egg and sugar. Mix until well blended. Add chocolate chips, vanilla, salt, and nuts and mix until combined. Drop cream cheese mixture, by spoonfuls, on top of cake batter. Do not get any on tube or sides of pan, but evenly distributed. Bake in preheated 350º oven for 50 to 60 minutes. Cool in pan for 30 minutes, then remove to serving plate. The cream cheese mixture will have settled to the bottom of the pan, which will make it necessary to turn the cake a second time so that the cream cheese bottom layer is at the bottom on the serving plate. Prepare fudge frosting according to package directions. Frost cake. Eat immediately and refrigerate any leftovers.

P.S. No one knows who Finister is, but don't care.

Back
Top Bottom