Chocolate Cake Save

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
A couple of weeks ago, SO asked me to cook up a devil's food cake mix. I used a couple of 8" cake pans that I banded. I froze one layer and frosted the other with a ganache and ate the it. Sadly, it was kinda dry even though I pulled the cake out what I thought was kind of early to avoid overcooking.

Today I was thinking about that layer in the freezer and what I could do to save it. So I defrosted it and poked a lot of holes in the cake. I cooked up a box of raspberry Jell-O using half the called for water. I spooned/brushed the Jell-O all over the cake and let it soak in. I frosted it with a ganache.

Taste test tonight. It came out really good. Moist and delicious. You can't beat the combination of dark chocolate and raspberry.

I'll do this again.

Sounds great!

The box cake was probably fine, as box cakes go, you are just spoiled by your own homemade chocolate cake! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I too bake 2 layers in round pans and freeze one, with only the two of us a full size cake is to much. I just saw this yesterday and this might help you
On the TV show America's test kitchen / cooks country I just learn that if you are using the darker color cake pans they will tend to cook faster and dry the cake out. Using the lighter color pans (unpolished as he said) they will come out not as brown on the edges and stay moist. They had samples and makes a lot of sense.
I only have darker color cake pans, will be purchasing the lighter color ones
Hope this helps.

I too bake 2 layers in round pans and freeze one, with only the two of us a full size cake is to much. I just saw this yesterday and this might help you
On the TV show America's test kitchen / cooks country I just learn that if you are using the darker color cake pans they will tend to cook faster and dry the cake out. Using the lighter color pans (unpolished as he said) they will come out not as brown on the edges and stay moist. They had samples and makes a lot of sense.
I only have darker color cake pans, will be purchasing the lighter color ones
Hope this helps.

I'm aware of the difference in cake pans. I use two 8" Wilton cake pans. They are straight-sided and plain aluminum. I also use cake bands on the pans to give me more level tops to the layers.

I check for doneness early and pull the cakes as soon as they are ready. I never bake them for an "extra couple of minutes to be sure they're done."

While this Jell-O fix was specifically to save a dry cake, I'd use it on a moist cake to add the raspberry flavor to the chocolate.

I like to use seedless raspberry jelly to moisten a chocolate cake, heat it till runny and pour over.

Yes, when heated it turns very runny. Like to use it as the middle of a 2 layer cake, too!

You could also poke holes in the cake with a fork or bamboo skewer and drizzle it with Chambord.

Z

I agree that there's nothing more delicious than raspberry with chocolate, and I'm not a huge chocolate fan. My mouth is watering...I should have know better than to open this thread.

That sounds great, Andy - I love choc and raspberry together. Good idea too, to make a double layer cake and freeze one layer. Sometimes I want cake and hardly ever bake one because it's too much for just me - unless I can give some away. :)

Last edited:
Thanks again, Andy. :) Going back to read his blog again, it's been a while since I've read it.

I have the Wilton sheet pans, and really like them! I see cake in my future. :yum:

Back
Top Bottom