"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 07-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
Cook

Chocolate cake topping with a light crunch?

Hi there. I'm making a cake for a birthday and I want to do a coating I know I've eaten before but I'm not even sure how to identify it. It is chocolate (or at least chocolate flavored), it is thin and smooth... and it forms a bit of a hard-ish shell such that there's a light "crunch" to it. And I mean light. "Crunch" really is too harsh of a word, but I'm not sure how else to describe it. More than a stiff icing, but less than that hard-shell ice cream coating you get at Dairy Queen :)

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I'm not even sure where I'm remembering it from. In all likelihood, its probably some cheap Hostess type cake I'm remembering.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

- Steven

Old 07-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
Head Chef

Yeah. You want the cake icing version of the coating on a Nestle Crunch ice cream bar.

There are a number of version of Nestle Crunch Icing. One melts 32 ounces of Nestle Crunch bars in a double boiler, then stir in a 1/2 cup sour cream and 2 tsp vanilla and beat until smooth. You can probably vary the amount of sour cream for a sticker icing.

Other similar effects have been had with milk chocolate, Nutella, butter, and crushed corn flakes.

If more adventurous, you can use "pop rocks," available unflavored. You can use them with fat-based flavorings, which should include chocolate.

Popping Candy (unflavored)

Old 07-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
Cook

No no... see, I knew "crunch" wasn't the right word :)

What I'm looking for is JUST chocolate... no nuts, rice, pop rocks, etc. I just mean the shell itself is slightly... well... crunchy. That is, when you bite into it, it snaps off with your teeth rather than your teeth sinking into it. I don't want to say "hard" but I guess maybe that's what it is... thin and hard.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
Cook

Margi pm'd me and when she used the word "glaze", I got back on Google and found what I wanted :)

"Hard chocolate glaze"... I think this one will work: How to Make a Hard Chocolate Glaze - wikiHow
Old 07-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
Sous Chef

7 ounces of any chocolate (the kind you like), 2 tablespoons of good coconut oil. Zap in the microwave a very few seconds, stir, if needed zap a couple more seconds. This will firm up on a cool cake or ice cream or cold berries or cold apricots. Slightly warm makes a thick shell, warmer (melted more) makes a thinner shell.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #6
Cook

Thanks Oldvine. Sorry, I didn't see this until just now.

But especially THANK YOU MARGI for sending me your grandmother's glaze recipe via pm... it worked wonderfully and tastes marvelous. Went on so smooth. The picture doesn't really do it justice.

- Steven
Old 07-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

YUM!!
Old 07-21-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
Executive Chef

So what was the secret to solving the crunchy problem?
Old 07-22-2012, 01:07 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Can I make a suggestion? The next time you make this cake, do it on the rack placed over or in a cookie sheet with sides. Makes cleanup so much easier. BTW, the cake looks divine. Glad you found the solution to your problem. Care to share the recipe with the rest of us?
Old 07-22-2012, 01:16 AM   #10
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Can I make a suggestion? The next time you make this cake, do it on the rack placed over or in a cookie sheet with sides. Makes cleanup so much easier. BTW, the cake looks divine. Glad you found the solution to your problem. Care to share the recipe with the rest of us?
And you can save any overage. An inexpensive trim and turn cake stand is a must if you are into baking cakes.

So what was the crunch, op? Letting the Chocolate(well, the sugar in the choc) get a little crystallized?

Tags
cake, chocolate, other