"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 11-03-2006, 05:06 AM   #1
Head Chef

Chocolate Chestnut Cake

225grams good quality dark chocolate
6 egg whites
pinch of salt
125grams butter
1 x 435gram tin of unsweetened chestnut puree
2 rable spoons rum (my hand slips here, I sometimes put double that in)
65grams caster sugar

You can decorate with whipped cream, marron glaces and gold buttons. I spinkle crumbled marron glaces over if I have them, other wise I serve with whipped cream or cream chatilly. It might be nice with cream with vanilla and rum beaten though, I'll try that tonight.

If I cook in gas its gas mark for, but today its 180 degrees centigrade. You need a two litre capacity mold, because of the plain ness of the cake, nigella uses a braided ring mold. A bundt would work, I am using a decorative sunflower mold today. I have, however also made it in loaves and gone mad with decor! It need to be very nonstick and/or very greased.

melt the chocolate and set aside to cool. Whisk the egg whites with the salt, till they are firm, but not so much they are in stiff peaks.

then I whisk the chestnut and the butter, adding the rum, then the sugar. fold in the egg whites, and put into the tin/mold.

bake for 40-50 minutes. a tester does not come out clean. It need to cool in the mold/tin before being turned out.

Incidently, my cooker broke before a big Boxing day party we had the christmas I was given this book. I was desperate to eat it though and I made an approximation by omitting the egg and tuning it into a rich fridge set mousse. Seriously rich but very delicious.

Old 11-03-2006, 06:11 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I just so happen to have a can of chestnut puree from last season, sitting forlornly on the shelf....

This looks wonderful. Why do so many people insist on speaking metric??

Thanks Lulu!

Old 11-03-2006, 06:23 AM   #3
Head Chef

I know, I find it hard, the metric v imperial thing. Anything I make up my self is imperial. I was taught metric at school but imperial in my mother's kitchen, lol.

The thing is, it became actually BANNED in UK to sell stuff in Imperial measures for a while because of the whole European business. Madness. Vendors were actually prosecuted for giving prices in pounds rather than kilos. Now we use metric as the main thing and many retailers/recipes give imperial as additional. the conversion between the two is fussy though. I have a glass pot rest with the basics on it and it is invaluable!
Old 11-03-2006, 03:47 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I always knew I was imperial!

Tags
None