Chocolate flan cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
I've been asked to bring a Mexican dessert to a gathering this Friday. I thought of choc-flan (chocolate flan cake). What's your version of chocolate flan cake? All the recipes I've searched for ask for boxed cake mix and cream cheese in the custard. Does anyone have anything different? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I've been asked to bring a Mexican dessert to a gathering this Friday. I thought of choc-flan (chocolate flan cake). What's your version of chocolate flan cake? All the recipes I've searched for ask for boxed cake mix and cream cheese in the custard. Does anyone have anything different? Thanks in advance.

This one looks yummy to me, Dina.

http://whatscooking.us/2008/01/17/mission-impossible-cake/

You could make your own devil's food cake mix & use caramel topping in place of the chocolate sauce.

Thanks for the ideas ladies. I'll use a boxed chocolate cake mix and make my 3 leches flan to go over it. I got cajeta for the topping which is something similar to caramel except it's a lot thicker than the US caramel. I hope I get a chance to take a picture of it to show you. Honestly, this is the first time making it but it shouldn't be too hard -- I hope -- combining cake with custard.

Ah! The cake is out of the oven but I'm so afraid to flip it onto the cake plate and see it break apart. My recipe asks to let it sit for 15 minutes but it's quite a big bundt cake that I feel I should wait till it cools completely. Any suggestions?

Amy,
Just get Betty Crocker's Triple Fudge cake mix, follow the instructions on the box. Set aside. Then in a blender blend 1 can evaporated milk, 1 can sweetened condensed milk, 1/2 cup regular milk, 2 teaspoons vanilla, and 5 eggs. Get a store bought tub of caramel sauce or make your own recipe.

Assembling instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease a bundt cake pan.
Pour about 1/2 cup of caramel at the bottom of pan.
Pour the milk (flan) mixture slowly over the caramel.
Pour the cake batter VERY slowly over the milk mixture.
Cover tightly with aluminum foil.
Place filled bundt cake pan in another larger pan filled with 2 inches of water.
Bake for 2 hours without opening the oven. It must bake for the 2 hours or it will be raw in the middle. Let it cool for an hour or so, invert onto a cake plate and top again with caramel sauce. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom