Chocolate Grand Marnier Torte w/Raspberry Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redkitty

Executive Chef
Is your chocolate sweet tooth ready for this?! I've had this recipe for about 15 years, have no idea where it came from. Thought I would share it with all you lovely people.

CHOCOLATE GRAND MARNIER TORTE

5 eggs
10 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, cut up
2 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate, cut up
2 sticks (8 ounces) butter
1/4 cup Grand Marnier

Preheat oven to 400F. In a small bowl, cover uncracked eggs with very hot water. Let stand for 5 minutes.

In a 2-quart glass bowl, heat semisweet and unsweetened chocolate and butter in a microwave oven on high 2 1/2 to 3 minutes, stirring twice, until melted and smooth. Set aside to let cool slightly.

In a large bowl, beat eggs on high speed until thick and light yellow, about 5 minutes. Add chocolate mixture and Grand Marnier and beat until well blended.

Turn into a buttered, wax paper-lined 8 inch springform pan.

Bake 15-18 minutes or until almost set. Let cake cool 1 hour. Then cover with foil and refrigerate several hours or until firm. Remove cake from refrigerator at least 1 hour before serving. Run a sharp knife around sides of cake and remove sides of springform pan. Cut into slices. Serve in a pool of Raspberry Sauce and top with whipped cream.

RASPBERRY SAUCE

2 (12-ounce) bags frozen unsweetened red raspberries, thawed
3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons Grand Marnier

In a food processor, combine thawed berries and powdered sugar. Process until smooth. Add Grand Marnier and process to blend well.

To remove seeds, press puree through a wire strainer placed over a non-reactive bowl. Using a rubber spatula, scrap underside of strainer. Discard seeds. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate up to 2 days. Mix before serving.

So there you have it. One of my all time favorite super duper rich cakes. I hope if you make it, you enjoy it as much as I do! ;)

Miss Kitty

This is gonna be good! I can tell..I can tell :clap:
I will have this Sunday!! Thanks so much for sharing!!

Last edited:
Oh I'm so happy you guys like it! UncleB, do let me know if you make it on Sunday and make sure you have an extra piece for me!

Uncle Bob said:
Miss Kitty

This is gonna be good! I can tell..I can tell :clap:
I will have this Sunday!! Thanks so much for sharing!!

Uncle Bob, would you mind swinging by my house to bring me a plate? :flowers:

redkitty said:
Oh I'm so happy you guys like it! UncleB, do let me know if you make it on Sunday and make sure you have an extra piece for me!

Miss Kitty...

If? I can assure you it's gonna happen!! :LOL: I promise!
Sundays are my big sweets day and since it is Chocolate and Grand Marnier. I will honor you buy having two pieces of the Torte.(at least).

Miss Jan...

How can I refuse the request of a Southern Lady! I shall swing by late afternoon, but will be unable to stay as I must return to Twin Oaks before dark.:)

It's gonna be good, It's gonna be good, I can hardly wait!!:clap:

I absolutely will not leave the house until that arrives.

Uh-oh, I beginning to sound like a President and a rose garden. :LOL:

Since today will be very busy...tonight also. I went ahead and made the Tort last night...It is absolutely beautiful!! It smells divine. It's all snuggled up in the fridge covered with foil. It is perfectly set.

I can't wait until tomorrow (Sunday noon) It's gonna be sooo good.

I can't wait...Yippeee:clap:

And it's all mine!!:-p

Oh WOW! You already made it!!! Do post back and let me know after you eat it! And don't forget to eat a big chunk for Miss Kitty too!

Miss Kitty...

A gentleman never goes back on his word to a Lady!!:flowers: I will indeed eat my portion as well as a portion in your Honor!! It made up perfectly. I will wait until Sunday AM to make the Raspberry Sauce. I am drooling in anticipation.

TNT on two Continents. Miss Kitty's World Famous Chocolate & Grand Marnier Tort with Raspberry Sauce. Ya gotta try this one!! I give it 5 Stars.

Thanks for Sharing Miss Kitty.

Last edited:
actually, i tuned in just for this thread. A few months ago I made a flourless chocolate cake that was heavenly, absolutely the best dessert I have ever made. But I am wondering how the Grand Mariner enhances this cake? And the raspberry sauce? One time I made a chocolate ricotta cheesecake that was better by itself than with the raspberry sauce I tried to add. And will you look at the size of that piece of cake? Any comments on the flavorings of this incredible looking dessert?

Miss Beth...

This was my first time making this so my comments would have to based on a one time experience. I followed the recipe on the cake to the letter. As to what it would be like without the Grand Marnier I don't know. Based on other recipes that I have made using Grand Marnier it depends on the recipe. In some recipes the presence of Grand Marnier can be very pronounced in other subtle. This cake is very good, rich etc. To me the Grand Marnier was subtle, to my daughter who does not drink it was more evident. The raspberry sauce I tasted before adding the Grand Marnier, and obviously after too! I can say the addition of the Grand Marnier in the sauce was a big plus to me. The somewhat tartness of the raspberry sauce was a nice compliment to the richness of the cake. In the end it goes to personal preference. The cake is delicious with or without the sauce, The sauce would be delcious with or without the Grand Marnier. The next time I make this it will be per the recipe above.
Is the piece of cake not big enough for ya?:LOL: The plate is a dessert plate and the piece of cake really not that big.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
UB, you precisely answered my awkardly phrased questions. I was concerned the Grand Mariner would overpower the chocolate confection. I only drink the stuff by the drop:LOL:. Subtle Grand Mariner sounds sublime:cool: . I believe I will make this just as written, too. Thank you for your advice.:)

OK kids, I think I'm going to make this for my boy for Valentines Day. I've never made it for him! And I think it's been something ridiculous like ten years since I made it, so now is the time!

Uncle B, I don't think mine will come out as lovely as the picture you took when you made it!

Back
Top Bottom