Chocolate Hazelnut Torte

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Somebunny

Executive Chef
2 C Ground hazelnuts (almonds also work)
1-1/4C Sugar divided
8 oz. Dark chocolate (I used 70% Lindt and Cadbury mixed)
2 sticks (1/2lb.) butter
6 large eggs separated
Confectioners sugar

Raspberry Coulis (sauce)
Chocolate drizzle

Preheat oven to 325F (rack in middle)
Butter a 9" springform pan, line the bottom with a circle of parchment paper
Dust the sides of the pan with granulated sugar. (Not included in recipe amounts)
Grind the nuts in a food processor with 6T of the sugar. This can be done in batches if necessary.
In a double boiler or a bowl over simmering water, melt the chocolate with the butter. Set aside to cool somewhat.
Beat the egg yolks in a large bowl with an electric mixer until lemon colored, about 5 minutes. Gradually beat in 10T of sugar. Stir in the chocolate mixture, add the ground nuts and stir to incorporate.
In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites with 1/4 C sugar until they form stiff peaks. In two additions fold the egg whites into the batter. (Do not beat, just fold to incorporate, it takes a few minutes)
Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top.
Bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let cool in pan on a rack for 15 minutes before removing sides of springform pan, then let cool completely.
The top of this cake will have a hard crust that may crack (mine did not)
If you don't want the crust to be presented at serving than invert the cake and remove the bottom of the springform pan and the parchment paper (I did this)
Sprinkle with confectioners sugar, use a paper doily to make a petty design if desired. Serve with raspberry Coulis and chocolate drizzle.
To make the Coulis, I defrosted about a pint of raspberries in a colander set over a bowl I used the collected juice, (reserved the berries for another use) maybe 3/4C, sweetened it with a Tablespoon of sugar, whisked in 2 tsp. of cornstarch and heated until thick and syrupy. You might have to adjust to get the right consistency. For the chocolate drizzle I just melted a couple of dark chocolate bars (1oz. each) that I had on hand, with a tsp or so of butter. (You could melt some Nutella if you have it in hand). I drizzled each slice with raspberry Coulis and chocolate drizzle.
Serves 10-12 depending on the sizes you cut. It's pretty rich ;)
Sorry no pics this time:ohmy:

You are posting things here that could get me in serious trouble.:LOL:

I truly love hazelnut and chocolate, and raspberries. Dark chocolate was specifically made to compliment raspberries, when the earth was formed. So too was the combination of hazelnuts and chocolate, a flavor combination created by someone with highly advance intelligence, beyond that of mortals.

So, when ya gonna send me a box of your wonderful confection?:yum::LOL:

Oh, and if you mix those two chocolates together with half'n half, in a double boiler, and pour it into a glass when it's all liquid, homogenized, and hot, you will have the most decadent cup of hot cocoa in existence. I know this from personal experience.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Thanks all! I think I have to dig out another recipe I have for a decadent chocolate cake without nuts or flour. It's also a keeper!

Back
Top Bottom