"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 09-16-2007, 09:02 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Goodweed did say that the "cake is very rich and chocolatey", but doesn't mention adding any chocolate at all. Maybe he'll see this & amend the recipe? I'd love to try it as he described it. : )
Check out post #14 for the recipe.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:01 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
GW,
your recipe for the cake sounds wonderful I have the 4 grandkids and parents coming tomorrow as usual and they all love anything chocolate...I have been trying to decide since yesterday on what to make for them..Thanks you just saved the day...
One question, is the cake a white cake or chocolate? I don't see measurments for chocolate, just a mention of the chocolate frosting...
kadesma
My mistake. Add to the recipe's dry ingredients, 4 tbs. cocoa powder. Sorry 'bout that.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 12:22 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks GW,
that's about what I added by guessing. The cake is just delicious..There is only one piece left after the kids left today..They all said to tell you THANK YOU

kadesma
Old 09-17-2007, 04:21 AM   #24
Assistant Cook

Ohhh you have brought back many memories of my Mother's Choco-mayo cake.She always won our school's cake contests, for the most moist and tasty cake.She called it
"Just a tad special, choco cake" that it was.Thanks for the reminder to look up her recipe and make it soon.Plus, I will be trying yours as well.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:57 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

Oh, Yeahhhhh. I went to school in a small town in NE Oklahoma and the ladies in the cafeteria made this all the time. They called it wacky cake. We'd skip out of basketball practice early and slip into the cafeteria and they'd always hold back a piece for us, if we hadn't scarfed up the cake at lunch, that is. This was back in the early 1960's. Those were fun times.... ...... ........................ Oh! Well anyway, what's to be squeamish about? What's mayo made of? Eggs, oil, vinegar, salt. Hardly anything else. Be sure to use REAL mayo. Miracle Whip will work but won't be as good.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:14 PM   #26
Master Chef

I received an email on the 17th asking that I correct the recipe. On the 16th, I had already put in a post with the correction, but not in the whole recipe listing. So, here is the corrected recipe, in its entirety.

Chocolate-Mayonaise Cake
Dry Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
4 tbs. Hershey's Cocoa Powder
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder (Clabber Girl or Calumet brand)

Wet Ingredients:
1 cup mayonaise
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup water

Preheat oven to 350' F.
Whisk to gether the dry ingredients in a large glass or stainless steel bowl. Mix the vanilla extract with the water. Add the water mixture and mayonaise to the dry ingredents and whisk with a balloon whisk until all is smooth. Pour into a greased and floured 10" cake pan or a 9"X16" rectangular cake pan and bake for 30 minutes. Test by inserting either a clean butter knife or toothpick into the cake center. If it comes out clean, remove from the oven and cool as it is done. If it needs more cooking, increasae the time by 10 minute intervals until the cake is done.

Sorry about the mix-up. Now you can enjoy this wonderful cake. But I wonder, if you substituted vanilla, or a flavoring such as butterscotch, or rum extract, or almond extract, etc. how would the cake turn out then?

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:27 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Check out post #14 for the recipe.
"Green Lady" - "Post #14" didn't mention any chocolate either - lol - so don't know what you were referring to!!!

But thanks GoodWeed for adding the chocolate ingredient to your lovely recipe. Sounds absolutely fabulous!
Old 09-21-2007, 10:06 PM   #28
Senior Cook

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
"Green Lady" - "Post #14" didn't mention any chocolate either - lol - so don't know what you were referring to!!!

But thanks GoodWeed for adding the chocolate ingredient to your lovely recipe. Sounds absolutely fabulous!
Yes, I posted 8 T. cocoa in my version of the recipe, which is roughly double the amount of GoodWeed's. The cocoa is the chocolate.......

Right now I am pre-heating my oven to make this cake for my family to enjoy this weekend. I am sure they will enjoy. I can't imagine why I never made it for them before. I am really glad GoodWeed started this thread. I've been thinking about this cake all week. Unfortunately, I have allergies to wheat so will have to get by on a few crumbs and the aroma.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:24 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Made them into cupcakes.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:31 PM   #30
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Made them into cupcakes.

Those are adorable.

The recipe I posted in #14 mentioned using a large pan, 16 x 20, I think. I instead used 2 - 9x13's and baked for 30-35 min. Turned out nicely. I used Dutch chocolate because that is what I had on hand. Next time I will use the Hersey brand.

Tags
None