Chocolate-Mayonnaise Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ok i made this cake yesterday and yes it was fabulous,very different taste from a regular chocolate cake that uses eggs and fat.i loved the texture,it was super moist and soft yet firm.i prefer cakes that r moist but firm at the same time and can hold their shape after frosting.my regular choc cake that i make all the time is hersheys choc cake that is very good,the only thing i dont like about it,is that its too delicate and frosting it,is a bit hard as it tends to crumble.but this one was great as i frosted it very easily,though it was a little salty because theres a lot of salt in mayonnaise,but that was ok,as i didnt put any salt in the frosting,so it was balanced thsi way.the frosting i used for it was a cooked chocolate frosting that used corn flour as thickening agent.i made this one for the first time and i wont make it again.it lacked the intensity and richness of a regular choc frosting(hersheys perfect choc frosting in my case).just wanted to try a new frosting,but i regretted as i'm sure this cake would have tasted better with other frosting or even without any frosting.the only reason i wanted to try a cooked one,is i wanted a super smooth frosting,the uncooked hersheys frosting that i make regularly tastes great but isnt very smooth.it does have a slightly grainy texture if u pay attention.so i thought if i used a cooked frosting that uses cooked sugar,it will be smoother and creamier.well it was,but didnt taste as great as i thought it would.so i'm still in search of a perfect cooked choc frosting that has that intense choc flavour.but the cake nonetheless was a great discovery.Thanks GW!!!

I've been using the Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake recipe of Gayle Gand that is identical except for buttermilk in place of water, Cake flour instead of AP flour, and no baking soda.

Today I tried Goodweed's recipe and it came out perfectly moist -much much better than Gayle Gand's. Thanks so much GW! I sliced the cake in two to make a layered cake with pastry cream filling, then frosted everything with chocolate ganache and caramel sauce. It tastes exquisite. I'm throwing out GG's recipe.

Sarah is right though in that the cake is crumbly. Next time I will refrigerate it first to let it firm up before slicing and layering.

Hmm, I think I might actually try this recipe, never even considered putting mayo in a cake for ANY reason. :chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom