"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 06-25-2008, 03:32 AM   #31
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
I received an email on the 17th asking that I correct the recipe. On the 16th, I had already put in a post with the correction, but not in the whole recipe listing. So, here is the corrected recipe, in its entirety.

Chocolate-Mayonaise Cake
Dry Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
4 tbs. Hershey's Cocoa Powder
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder (Clabber Girl or Calumet brand)

Wet Ingredients:
1 cup mayonaise
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup water

Preheat oven to 350' F.
Whisk to gether the dry ingredients in a large glass or stainless steel bowl. Mix the vanilla extract with the water. Add the water mixture and mayonaise to the dry ingredents and whisk with a balloon whisk until all is smooth. Pour into a greased and floured 10" cake pan or a 9"X16" rectangular cake pan and bake for 30 minutes. Test by inserting either a clean butter knife or toothpick into the cake center. If it comes out clean, remove from the oven and cool as it is done. If it needs more cooking, increasae the time by 10 minute intervals until the cake is done.

Sorry about the mix-up. Now you can enjoy this wonderful cake. But I wonder, if you substituted vanilla, or a flavoring such as butterscotch, or rum extract, or almond extract, etc. how would the cake turn out then?

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Oh my goodness does this bring back memeories. I haven't had a mayonaise cake in years. I just dug out my Mama's recipe and hers is exactly the same as yours Goodweed. She would top it with a peanutbutter icing and my goodness was it ever good. Now I'm gonna have to make one!

Old 08-16-2008, 02:16 AM   #32
Senior Cook

I'm baking this cake as I type this post. I've never heard of a mayonaise cake before and I'm looking forward to trying it. I'll comment again after I taste it. Thanks for sharing the recipe, Goodweed.

Sedagive

I couldn't wait for it to cool so I just cut a big wedge and devoured it. No frosting, just the cake, and it was delicious. Moist, great chocolate flavor, and an outstanding texture I've never had in cake before. This is a keeper! Thanks again, Goodweed.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:31 PM   #33
Master Chef

Yeh, we loved it the first time we were introduced to it so many years back. This is one of those recipes that you wish you could take credit for creating. But I can't. Oh well, I still have my world famous pancake recipe that's mine and my daughter's creation.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 02:23 PM   #34
Sous Chef

could i use lowfat mayonaise? i see the recipe includes no egg or oil so it could actually be diet-friendly !
Old 08-17-2008, 06:35 PM   #35
Sous Chef

the l.f. may i have is 15 calories to the Tablespoon. i guess the real ques is, how many T in a cup ? i'm not so sure the cake is gonna be low cal now
Old 08-17-2008, 06:37 PM   #36
Sous Chef

necver mind

WikiAnswers - How many tablespoons are in one cup

16 T = one cup
Old 08-17-2008, 06:49 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Claim Jumpers Restaurant is famous for their Chocolate Mayo cake, they call it the Mother Load Cake, they make it like 10 layers high, one slice feeds several mouths! The most moist cake you can imagine!! You don't taste the mayo at all, it just makes it ultra moist! They also press walnuts all over the chocolate frosting so so so good!

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:06 PM   #38
Senior Cook

I was making another one of these last night when I discovered my daughter had used the last of the vanilla extract. I substituted orange extract and it gave the cake a nice flavor.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:30 PM   #39
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedagive View Post
I was making another one of these last night when I discovered my daughter had used the last of the vanilla extract. I substituted orange extract and it gave the cake a nice flavor.
Wow did you ever get my mind thinking. I love raspberries and chocolate. I'm thinking chocolate mayo cake, multi-layered, with raspberry butter-cream filling between layers, and a raspberry glaze all over the top and sides.

Another possibility, substitute cherries for raspeberries.

The orange flavoring sounds wonderful as well.

All right kids; tell me what other flavors could be used along this theme. And, here's a challenge for everyone who loves decadent deserts, make one and take pictures.

I'm gonna try the raspberry idea next payday (in two weeks). Remind me.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:01 PM   #40
Sous Chef

i'm also thinking rasp choc lately but there are tons of ideas online be it mix, jelly, likker....

Tags
None