Chocolate-Mayonnaise Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the suggestions. Goodweed did say that the "cake is very rich and chocolatey", but doesn't mention adding any chocolate at all. Maybe he'll see this & amend the recipe? I'd love to try it as he described it. : )

Check out post #14 for the recipe.

GW,
your recipe for the cake sounds wonderful I have the 4 grandkids and parents coming tomorrow as usual and they all love anything chocolate...I have been trying to decide since yesterday on what to make for them..Thanks you just saved the day...
One question, is the cake a white cake or chocolate? I don't see measurments for chocolate, just a mention of the chocolate frosting...
kadesma:)

My mistake:ohmy:. Add to the recipe's dry ingredients, 4 tbs. cocoa powder. Sorry 'bout that.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thanks GW,
that's about what I added by guessing. The cake is just delicious..There is only one piece left after the kids left today..They all said to tell you THANK YOU:)

kadesma

Ohhh you have brought back many memories of my Mother's Choco-mayo cake.She always won our school's cake contests, for the most moist and tasty cake.She called it
"Just a tad special, choco cake" that it was.Thanks for the reminder to look up her recipe and make it soon.Plus, I will be trying yours as well.

Oh, Yeahhhhh. I went to school in a small town in NE Oklahoma and the ladies in the cafeteria made this all the time. They called it wacky cake. We'd skip out of basketball practice early and slip into the cafeteria and they'd always hold back a piece for us, if we hadn't scarfed up the cake at lunch, that is. This was back in the early 1960's. Those were fun times.... ...... ........................ Oh! Well anyway, what's to be squeamish about? What's mayo made of? Eggs, oil, vinegar, salt. Hardly anything else. Be sure to use REAL mayo. Miracle Whip will work but won't be as good.

I received an email on the 17th asking that I correct the recipe. On the 16th, I had already put in a post with the correction, but not in the whole recipe listing. So, here is the corrected recipe, in its entirety.

Chocolate-Mayonaise Cake
Dry Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
4 tbs. Hershey's Cocoa Powder
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder (Clabber Girl or Calumet brand)

Wet Ingredients:
1 cup mayonaise
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup water

Preheat oven to 350' F.
Whisk to gether the dry ingredients in a large glass or stainless steel bowl. Mix the vanilla extract with the water. Add the water mixture and mayonaise to the dry ingredents and whisk with a balloon whisk until all is smooth. Pour into a greased and floured 10" cake pan or a 9"X16" rectangular cake pan and bake for 30 minutes. Test by inserting either a clean butter knife or toothpick into the cake center. If it comes out clean, remove from the oven and cool as it is done. If it needs more cooking, increasae the time by 10 minute intervals until the cake is done.

Sorry about the mix-up. Now you can enjoy this wonderful cake. But I wonder, if you substituted vanilla, or a flavoring such as butterscotch, or rum extract, or almond extract, etc. how would the cake turn out then?

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out post #14 for the recipe.

"Green Lady" - "Post #14" didn't mention any chocolate either - lol - so don't know what you were referring to!!!

But thanks GoodWeed for adding the chocolate ingredient to your lovely recipe. Sounds absolutely fabulous!

"Green Lady" - "Post #14" didn't mention any chocolate either - lol - so don't know what you were referring to!!!

But thanks GoodWeed for adding the chocolate ingredient to your lovely recipe. Sounds absolutely fabulous!

Yes, I posted 8 T. cocoa in my version of the recipe, which is roughly double the amount of GoodWeed's. The cocoa is the chocolate.......

Right now I am pre-heating my oven to make this cake for my family to enjoy this weekend. I am sure they will enjoy. I can't imagine why I never made it for them before. I am really glad GoodWeed started this thread. I've been thinking about this cake all week. Unfortunately, I have allergies to wheat so will have to get by on a few crumbs and the aroma.:(

Made them into cupcakes.

Those are adorable.

The recipe I posted in #14 mentioned using a large pan, 16 x 20, I think. I instead used 2 - 9x13's and baked for 30-35 min. Turned out nicely. I used Dutch chocolate because that is what I had on hand. Next time I will use the Hersey brand.

I received an email on the 17th asking that I correct the recipe. On the 16th, I had already put in a post with the correction, but not in the whole recipe listing. So, here is the corrected recipe, in its entirety.

Chocolate-Mayonaise Cake
Dry Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
4 tbs. Hershey's Cocoa Powder
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder (Clabber Girl or Calumet brand)

Wet Ingredients:
1 cup mayonaise
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup water

Preheat oven to 350' F.
Whisk to gether the dry ingredients in a large glass or stainless steel bowl. Mix the vanilla extract with the water. Add the water mixture and mayonaise to the dry ingredents and whisk with a balloon whisk until all is smooth. Pour into a greased and floured 10" cake pan or a 9"X16" rectangular cake pan and bake for 30 minutes. Test by inserting either a clean butter knife or toothpick into the cake center. If it comes out clean, remove from the oven and cool as it is done. If it needs more cooking, increasae the time by 10 minute intervals until the cake is done.

Sorry about the mix-up. Now you can enjoy this wonderful cake. But I wonder, if you substituted vanilla, or a flavoring such as butterscotch, or rum extract, or almond extract, etc. how would the cake turn out then?

Oh my goodness does this bring back memeories. I haven't had a mayonaise cake in years. I just dug out my Mama's recipe and hers is exactly the same as yours Goodweed. She would top it with a peanutbutter icing and my goodness was it ever good. Now I'm gonna have to make one! :)

I'm baking this cake as I type this post. I've never heard of a mayonaise cake before and I'm looking forward to trying it. I'll comment again after I taste it. Thanks for sharing the recipe, Goodweed.

Sedagive

I couldn't wait for it to cool so I just cut a big wedge and devoured it. No frosting, just the cake, and it was delicious. Moist, great chocolate flavor, and an outstanding texture I've never had in cake before. This is a keeper! Thanks again, Goodweed. :)

Yeh, we loved it the first time we were introduced to it so many years back. This is one of those recipes that you wish you could take credit for creating. But I can't. Oh well, I still have my world famous pancake recipe that's mine and my daughter's creation.

could i use lowfat mayonaise? i see the recipe includes no egg or oil so it could actually be diet-friendly !

the l.f. may i have is 15 calories to the Tablespoon. i guess the real ques is, how many T in a cup ? i'm not so sure the cake is gonna be low cal now

Claim Jumpers Restaurant is famous for their Chocolate Mayo cake, they call it the Mother Load Cake, they make it like 10 layers high, one slice feeds several mouths! The most moist cake you can imagine!! You don't taste the mayo at all, it just makes it ultra moist! They also press walnuts all over the chocolate frosting so so so good!:wub:

I was making another one of these last night when I discovered my daughter had used the last of the vanilla extract. I substituted orange extract and it gave the cake a nice flavor.

I was making another one of these last night when I discovered my daughter had used the last of the vanilla extract. I substituted orange extract and it gave the cake a nice flavor.

Wow did you ever get my mind thinking. I love raspberries and chocolate. I'm thinking chocolate mayo cake, multi-layered, with raspberry butter-cream filling between layers, and a raspberry glaze all over the top and sides.

Another possibility, substitute cherries for raspeberries.

The orange flavoring sounds wonderful as well.

All right kids; tell me what other flavors could be used along this theme. And, here's a challenge for everyone who loves decadent deserts, make one and take pictures.

I'm gonna try the raspberry idea next payday (in two weeks). Remind me.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

i'm also thinking rasp choc lately but there are tons of ideas online be it mix, jelly, likker....

Back
Top Bottom