"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 09-14-2007, 11:28 PM   #1
Master Chef

Chocolate-Mayonnaise Cake

I had a recipe given to me by a good freind, about 20 years back. She has since passed on. Somehow, I lost this recipe and have regretted it. It was a chocolate-mayonaise cake that was rich and delicious. I've been searching for a great recipe of the same for a number of years now. Happily, I've found one. It produces a light, extremely moist, and rich cake, with a hint of walnut flavor. I'm not quite sure how that happens, but it does. Here's the list of ingredients and the technique, given in my own words. It is a truly delectable find and I'm happy to be able to share it with all of you, my freinds.

Chocolate-Mayonaise Cake
Dry Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder (Clabber Girl or Calumet brand)

Wet Ingredients:
1 cup mayonaise
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup water

Preheat oven to 350' F.
Whisk to gether the dry ingredients in a large glass or stainless steel bowl. Mix the vanilla extract with the water. Add the water mixture and mayonaise to the dry ingredents and whisk with a balloon whisk until all is smooth. Pour into a greased and floured 10" cake pan or a 9"X16" rectangular cake pan and bake for 30 minutes. Test by inserting either a clean butter knife or toothpick into the cake center. If it comes out clean, remove from the oven and cool as it is done. If it needs more cooking, increasae the time by 10 minute intervals until the cake is done.

This is a wonderful cake to serve with a white-chocolate frosting, or a milk-chocolate frosting as the cake is very rich and chocolatey. Enjoy.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:06 AM   #2
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Thanks for sharing, sounds deeelish !

Old 09-15-2007, 10:27 AM   #3
Cook

This recipe reminds me of the time my mother went to bake a cake but realized she didn't have any eggs. She substituted mayo for the eggs and some of the oil. It actually turned out very well. We didn't tell my sis about it until after she ate it - she's squeamish about stuff like that. Even to this day if you mention it, she'll turn a bit green around the gills.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:04 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

GW,
your recipe for the cake sounds wonderful I have the 4 grandkids and parents coming tomorrow as usual and they all love anything chocolate...I have been trying to decide since yesterday on what to make for them..Thanks you just saved the day...
One question, is the cake a white cake or chocolate? I don't see measurments for chocolate, just a mention of the chocolate frosting...
kadesma

Old 09-15-2007, 01:22 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Never knew of a cake made with mayo GW. I will give it a whirl. I have eaten and made cornbread using it with delicious results. So the cake will be interesting.

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 01:25 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
This sounds great. The kids and I are making chocolate cupcakes and we might just incorporate your recipe for them today. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:51 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

gw, i'm not a fan of mayo, but upon your cachet, i will print this one for a try someday.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 02:55 PM   #8
Executive Chef

My grandmother used to make a chocolate cake with mayo as an ingredient. She called it a millionaire cake. I have no idea where that name came from. It was very good, but I, too, am a bit squeamish about mayo in a cake. I'm not a mayo hater, but use it very conservatively. If I made one and my family found out, they wouldn't eat it either. I'd have to call it "the secret cake".
Old 09-15-2007, 03:42 PM   #9
Senior Cook

My aunt always made a chocolate mayo cake and it was wonderful! Even those who didn't like mayo loved her cake.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:23 PM   #10
Head Chef

I have made that cake too but not for a good many years. Thanks for the reminder. I will make it again soon. It is a very moist cake as I recall.

Tags
None