Chocolate Ruined My Cheesecake. Help Please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what do you think about this ? All changes are in green text.

Still using stacked 10"springforms
  • 7 cream cheese bars
  • 1/2cup cornstarch
  • cocoa powder per Jen's instructions
  • 2 cups sugar
  • vanilla
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 hour total baking time, first 15 mins @ 350, remainder @ 250
  • water tray
The eggs are the big enigma for me. For that last cake I eliminated 3 whites, representing a large amount of lost moisture. It was my impression that whites also creams the final baked texture, something I try to avoid. Yolks, I believe increases the breading of the final texture which I want. In any event, I'm at a loss to figuring out which if not both are aiding to the cracking of the top. It just might be, the best cheesecakes must crack !

no you dont need that much i dont put ANY flour or cornstarch in my chocolate cake.. cause when it cools the chocolate helps with setting

BUT your tall cheesecake concerns me

the oven tends to cook outside in.. and you will get a rubbery cheesecake as it will be trying to cook the centre

ever make a cake and put too much batter in the pan and the middle is underdone edges are overdone????

Chef_Jen said:
the oven tends to cook outside in.. and you will get a rubbery cheesecake as it will be trying to cook the centre
ever make a cake and put too much batter in the pan and the middle is underdone edges are overdone????

Maybe smaller diameter pans would fix that cause there has been a little toughening of the side but not the bottom

I used 3/4cup of flour + 1/4cup cornstarch and it cracked badly. Where cornstarch adds density and flour adds the less dense, break away texture I want, maybe I should keep with the 3/4cup flour and do away with the cornstarch.

goodweed said yolks makes it creamier and whites cracks the top due to its protein. What else does whites do for the cake ?
What would be the effect if I lessen the amount of yolks ?

Last edited:
TATTRAT said:
...Don't reinvent just yet, Go with TNT recipies, that will give you a basic understanding of the components and outcome, then double the recipie if you want the towering cake of goodness. Once you feel comfortable, then experiment.

Chef_Jen said:
and NOT enough eggs i use 4 eggs for 24 oz of cheese especially when im not using flour.

My best advice to you.

TRY a recipe thats been done. and then double it.

Get good and comfortable with your roots, if you don't know where you are coming from, then you don't know where you are going.:)

TATTRAT said:
Get good and comfortable with your roots, if you don't know where you are coming from, then you don't know where you are going.:)
and this from a guy with egg on his face:ROFLMAO:

Their is only one way to make a decent cheesecake to my liking, add flour. It never fails. The better the cheesecake, the deeper the cracks. I may change mah name from "The Drunken Cheesecake" to "The Cracked Cheesecake". Adding air only causes it to collapse beneath the weight of the heavy ingredients.

Please read the thread about baking soda, and baking powders. Baking soda is bicarbonate of soda, and is a salt. It is in the alkalye side of the PH table and reacts with acids. Generally, if a recipe calls for baking soda, it also calls for some acidic ingredient such as cream 0f tartar, buttermilk, sour cream, cream cheese, yogurt, vinegar, or something citrus.

Also, ratios are important. Alkalye materials are usualy bitter, soapy, or salty in flavor, while acids are sour to the taste. To understand what baking soda does, mix 1 tsp. of baking soda with 4 oz. of water. Then either go out to your car and pour this slurry onto the white powder surounding the battery teminals, or add a capful of vinager to the container containing the slurry. The liquid will begin to fizz energetically as the acid and alkalye react to each other and release Co2 and sulphur and Co2 into the atmosphere.

Baking soda and soap, both alkalye or base materials are often used to neutralyze acid contaminated skin.

Both are caustic, or more clearly, destroy materials by through the exchange of electrons in molecules, either adding or removing them from the original molecule, thereby changing the structure of the original molecule, usually disolving it into the liquid and releasing gasses into the air. It is the release of Co2 which is trapped by the protiens in batters and doughs that leaven the bread, cake, or whatever.

So there is a brief exerpt on what baking soda, and in turn what baking powder is.

Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom