Coloured fresh cream?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homecook novice

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone!

I am new and hope I have posted this in the correct place.

I'm making chocolate fondant with lemon cream and have been having issues with something and hopefully someone can help.

I was wanting the cream, which is double cream and not whipped at all, to be a bright and vibrant yellow. I added a few drops of yellow food colouring into the cream and the colour altered slightly, so i added more until i got the desired colour. Unfortunately, the cream tasted horrible! Almost an acrid, chemical taste. I ditched the lot as it was unfit for consumption.

Can anyone tell me what i did wrong, or whether it is even possible to colour double cream this way?

I know one can colour whipped cream quite easily, but doing it in liquid form seems to have stumped me.

Thanks in advance, and hellooo again :)

Thank you very much! I will give this a go. I didn't know it existed.

The contrast in colours between the dark, almost black fondant and the vibrancy of the yellow is very pretty, and coupled to other presentation goodies makes for a delicious 'first bite with the eye' :)
Ahhh, I see.

Well if you want a vibrant yellow, you could use saffron, yes it makes the cream taste but it amazing with dark chocolate.

I half whip my cream before I fold in gel colours , if I am going to use the cream whipped.

You can also use a cake decorating paste, even thicker than the gel.

You use only the tip of a toothpick to pick up the colour to add.

"Wilton" is around here. I have no idea if they are in the states or not. So try to find a cake decorating supply place near you.

For really intense colours they also have some with no flavours. Perhaps not all are tasteless, I don't do decorating any more so have been out of touch for a long time.

Hey! Don't forget to post a picture to make us drool....

Oops, Plymouth! :rolleyes: just realized you are in the United Kingdom, sorry for the assumption.

But I'm pretty sure you should be able to find a shop with paste and/or the gel over there ... especially after watching a BBC show of homecooks baking off! :LOL: tough bunch!

Oops, Plymouth! :rolleyes: just realized you are in the United Kingdom, sorry for the assumption.

But I'm pretty sure you should be able to find a shop with paste and/or the gel over there ... especially after watching a BBC show of homecooks baking off! :LOL: tough bunch!

Yes dragnlaw, we do have Wilton here is the U.S. In fact I have one of their coloring gel collections. :angel:

And Wilton have bright Yellow that doesnt taste too much, I can still taste but that because I didnt grow up on Azo colouring or bright coloured food.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom