Converting an existing recipe into a larger one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheesecakelady

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I've been asked a question about increasing a recipe into a larger size. The question is how to increase a recipe for a 9 or 10 inch cheesecake into a restaurant size cheesecake. I guess this would be about 12 inches in diameter. Does anyone know how much more ingredients to use and how much more baking time would be required?

Thanks to anyone for their assistance.

Cheesecakelady

Assuming they are both going to be the same height, increase the ingredients by 50% to go from 10" to 12".

The ingredient formula is pretty simple. Area = pi x radius squared. Or, a 10 inch pie would be 5x5 (25) x 3.14 or around 80 sq inches. a 12 inch would 6x6 (36) x 3.14 or 120 sq inches, as Andy said, half again as much. Assuming the same thickness, I would think that you would have to increase the cooking time only slightly. I would test with a thermometer or toothpick until I got the hang of it.

Cooking time for increased thickness is another matter. It would obviously be longer, but as far as my limited knowledge can determine, only testing for doneness could tell me when it is done. Probably should do that anyway as there are too many variables to rely on a timed baking system.

Way back in the day, I did the same thing when I took a recipe for a 9" diameter cheesecake and chanted it to a 10" diameter cheesecake. I found that increasing all ingredients by half made the cheesecake exactly what I wanted in the 10" pan. However, about cooking time, it increased by baout 1/3 and I had to lower the final cooking temperature to avoid scorching the graham cracker coating. I decreased the cooking temp by 25 degrees, form 350 to 235. You will have to reduce by the same amount and add an additional 20 minutes in order to set the custard properly. Again, as Bigjim68 stated, a thermometer is your best bet. I believe the custard begins to set at 170' F. So if the center temperature of your cheesecake is 170, it's time to remove it from the oven and let carryover cooking finish it for you.

By the way, Andy and Bigjim68, you guys rock. You hit it spot on.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I guess we are the geeks that paid attention in geometry class.

If we are accomplished cooks, and geeks, does that make us geoks or coeks?

I know, very bad attamept at humor, but I didn't have much to work with here, so gimme a break. I mean, I can't even attach a smiley to this thing. But I can't just let it ride either. See my dilema? It's just not in me to not take a shot, even if its a really loooooooong shot.

I was going to combine the words differently and then realized that one of the combinations would be offensive to many. And I'm just not that kind of guy.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom