Creamiest Chocolate Frosting Ever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Hve you ever noticed that most butter-cream frostings have a slightly grainy feel from the powdered sugar? I have. I found a way to get rid of that grainy texture, but it involves work. So I tried something different, at least for me. Many of you may already know this recipe, it's simply a modified ganache.

Ingredients:
1 cup good milk, or semi sweet chocolate chips
1 cup good white chocolate chips
2/3 cup cream
3 tbs. salted butter.

Place all ingredients into a microwave safe dish, and heat for two minutes on highest microwave sitting. Remove and whisk together. Remove tbs. of the mixture, and place in the freezer until room temp. Feel the texture of the room temperature frosting. It should be soft enough to spread, but firm enough not to run. If needed, add a little more chocolate chips, or cream to achieve the desired texture.

This frosting is so creay that it's nearly unbelievable. You can see yourself turning this into a filled chocolate filling, or a truffle, or eating it as a chocolate spread on graham crackers. Mix with nutella for something amazing. You get the picture.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

That is one way of doing chocolate ganache or Chocolate and cream or truffle, yeah depending on what era and country, it has different names.

Have you tried adding marshmallows to it?

Yup. You just made a ganache, Chief.

Next time, for a totally different texture, whip it after it's cool. WOW! Whipped ganache is an even better frosting, in my opinion.

Are you taking recipe lessons from Ina Garten? Why would anyone buy bad chocolate or white chocolate chips? If you want a quality (or as Ina would say, a really good ganache, buy one that's professionally made, in 22 different flavours!

I can buy a really good chocolate and make ganache for a fraction of the prices of these! With any flavour I want and I can make it dairy free with coconut milk as well!

Are you taking recipe lessons from Ina Garten? Why would anyone buy bad chocolate or white chocolate chips? If you want a quality (or as Ina would say, a really good ganache, buy one that's professionally made, in 22 different flavours!
I buy Ghirardelli dark chocolate chips. They *are* really good, and Nestlé cinnamon chips are yummy :yum: I'll splurge occasionally on really excellent chocolate handmade by a friend of mine who studied in France, but I'll eat it out of hand rather than melt it over cake.
http://hrscene.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/choc.jpg

Last edited:
I have made ganache from realy good coverture chocolate. It was very good. But for a yellow cake mix from a box, I'm not buying coverture chocolate. Ghiradelli chocolate chips, and cream, with a little salted butter is good enough. The secret though, is to get just the right degree of firmness. And if I recall, simple ganache is equal amounts of cream and chocolate, which is way too runny for what I wanted. I wasn't looking to pour the ganache over my cake. I wanted to spread it. That the part everyone is missing. This was frosting, based on ganache, not ganache. I know that I'm probably splitting hairs, but to me, the texture was as important as was the flavor. In any case, it was way better than any store-bought frosting, in both flavor and texture. I call that a success.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

well hell... the first and only ganache I've ever made was for the 6" chocolate cake I posted about... $5 pan, $3 cake ingredients.. hmmmm... I suppose I should have been classy and bought more appropriate chocolate for something as fancy as ganache but... $1.99 Trader Joe's semi sweet chocolate chips it was... :yum:

Ross

GG, those chocolates look positively drool-worthy. :yum: Does (s)he sell retail, or just to friends and family?

I thought you were retired. ;)
Mostly wholesale. These are from her "build your own Valentine's chocolates box" promotion at the local whole-animal butcher shop that also sells other locally produced goods. They're amazing :yum:

Back
Top Bottom