Cupackes Stick to Paper...Why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sjaguar13

Assistant Cook
I made some cupcakes today and they came out tasting okay, but they stick to the paper so bad. It's like trying to peel off a sticker. The paper cups just rip. I have to just tear the top half of the cupcake and then try to fold the paper inside out to get some of what was left behind.

Everything was going good, except at point point the batter was really dry. I added water. Should I have added milk or another egg or two, or did that have nothing to do with it? It's like I throw half the cupcake away when I try to remove the paper.

hmmm. I usually bake directly in the pan, so I'm probably no help, but my post will bump yours back to the top so more folks will see it.
42.gif

That used to happen to mine as well. I started oiling them and they turn out ok. If I use the foil liners though, I don't oil them.

Care to share the recipe and give more info? Maybe someone can give you more feedback based on that info.

I just read in a magazine somewhere that you should only oil the bottoms of the tins, then only let the cupcakes/muffins cool for a few minutes before turning them out to finish cooling on a rack. This prevents sticking. I suspect you let them cool completely in the tin and that is why they stick so badly. Try taking them out after only 5 minutes cooling and let them cool on a rack. The paper should pull off more easily then. Can't remember the specifics, but it had to do with them cooling more quickly outside the tins.

Alix, I remember reading something similar once, too, and can't remember all of the details either! :rolleyes: I recall it saying that part of the problem is that if you don't take them out of the tins, there's a build-up of steam which causes the papers to become too moist, thus sticking to the cake and making them harder to pull off. By getting the cupcakes out of the pan faster, the steam escapes and the cakes and papers cool more quickly.

Hopefully that makes sense! :huh:

I agree w/getting them out of the pan after 5 minutes or so, then letting them cool on a rack.

Also, I've noticed sometimes that muffins/cupcakes made with oil instead of shortening or butter ( a la carrot cake muffins), will tend to stick to the paper a little more.

I have a chocolate cake recipe I sometimes use for cupcakes. They will stick to the papers for the first few hours but after they sit for awhile they don't stick anymore. Don't know why though. :huh: I do turn them out after about 5 minutes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom