"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes
Old 10-09-2016, 01:51 PM   #11
Senior Cook
Baking soda is used when you have something acidic in the mix, Cream of tartar is used when you need to stabilize something ( that bit ruff I know), Hartshorn salt / Ammonium Carbonate. is used make thing brittle on its own or extra fluffy when combine with yeast ( smells horrible but doesnt taste anything, when done correctly) and baking powder is used in the rest unless you need yeast, barm or sourdough.

For the love of Cheese!
CakePoet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:04 AM   #12
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
Cooking is not rocket science...but baking is, you need good foundation recipes and follow them until you learn how things work. We can tell you all day how to do things, but until you have those basic skills down, you will not KNOW when/if something will work or not. We don't even know at what altitude you are baking, this makes a difference. Many of us who bake, learned while children or teenagers, we have many years of experience. Baking is not something you pick up over the weekend.

PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:21 PM   #13
Certified Cake Maniac
I don't want to provoke you any further, but I have been a member of this group for a long time and a baker (especially cake) for even longer.

People have been giving you the information you seek, you just aren't seeing it. There is nothing wrong with experimenting using a tried and true recipe to start and going from there. In fact, in culinary school that is exactly how we learned. we were taught the basics and only when we understood them were we free to try out different flavours and textures.

I don't see any advice I can give you beyond what you have gotten already. It would be nice to see/hear what your results are.

As for your pineapple cupcakes, I would check out the recipe link you were given and compare it to your attempt. I think you will find your answer quite quickly
"Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the key to life" - Chef Michael Smith

LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:29 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
Princess Fiona is certainly not trolling you. I must say that you're coming across as someone who does not really want to learn the basics, even though you say you do.

We've told you several times that baking is a science and not something you can just throw together, and you insist on doing that anyway. It's not just about combining wet and dry ingredients because what they are and what results you're looking for make a difference. This is not something that can be taught in a single forum post.

Also, if your oven's temperature is unreliable, you will have difficulty baking no matter what else you do.

Btw, LP, who just responded to you, is a long-time professional baker and caterer, so you would do well to listen to her.
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:35 PM   #15
Senior Cook
Not to be rude, but it sounds like you think that if you just keep throwing stuff together you will one day crack the magic code and become a perfect baker.

It doesnt work that way.

You learn buy coping others, it all way, that is life.

For the love of Cheese!
CakePoet is online now   Reply With Quote

baking powder, baking soda, cake, eggs, flavors..., flour, other, sugar, tips, vanilla

« Honeycake falls | - »