Cupcakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thegrova

Cook
Howdy all. I have two under 5 year old neices visiting tomorrow with their parents. Kids like cupcakes don't they? I do not have an recipes and was looking for a basic cupcake recipe so I could frost them with multi- coloured frosting - butterflies and flowers and things like that. Does anyone have a recipe they would like to share? Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. I had wondered about using a pound cake mix but not being a regular cup-caker I was not sure if it was the same kind of mix. I am sure we will have some fun. The neices are delightful little monsters - the plan is to fill them up with pizza and sugary things before sending them home!:rolleyes:

thegrova said:
The neices are delightful little monsters - the plan is to fill them up with pizza and sugary things before sending them home!:rolleyes:

Oh you are a GOOD auntie. Bad sister, but a GOOD auntie!

Uncle actually! The great thing is that since the two neices first started talking they associated my name with cake... start as you mean to go on is what I say!

*forehead slap* My sincere apologies on the gender booboo. Now I will amend. You are a FANTASTIC uncle. Brothers are allowed to be a bit rotten so you're a good brother too! :cool:

LaGrova--you'd better watch out---sisters have good memories!!! Especially when it comes to treating nephews and nieces that you might give her if you haven't already!!! I know--I found out the hard way.

Fun activity: "Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes" follow the directions on a cake mix--mine always liked chocolate--and fill ice cream cones (the kind that come in a box in the supermarket) about 2/3 full, place in a 9X13" oblong pan and bake at whatever the box says. You can either ice them yourself or let the girls. Or you ice them since they are under 5 and let them put the goodies on top. Have fun---I'm sure that you are a favorite Uncle!

Hi Expatgirl and Alix. Thanks for the suggestions. The cupcakes have been made and frosted - they do not look as good as I had hoped - I guess I need brush up on my cake decorating skills. I wanted flowers and ladybirds - but have ended up with red swirls and yellow blobs. I guess the girls won't really mind! I had to test sample the one that was a really funny shape - ah yes - loaded with sugar - exactly what I was after! I would be more cautious if I was going to be having children and there was a chance of these things coming back to haunt me - but I am quite safe!

I like the idea of cupcakes baked in ice cream cones and will remember that for next time! How do the cones cope with being in the oven. I would have thought they would have burned.

Almost any cake recipe will do, but the cooking time will be shorter.

As for the decorating end of it, do remember that usually the better looking the decoration, the less edible (royal icing, sugar flowers, etc. -- great looks, crap taste) so realize you've erred on the right side by making them nicer to eat!

LaGrova,

Bellisimo!! I'm sure that you're nieces won't care less-----the cones don't burn if you follow the cupcake directions on the cake mix box---in the states the mixes (example: Betty Crocker, Duncan Hines) will give you times for both cake and cupcakes. I used to teach kids aged 4-7 and they love the ice cream cone cupcakes--so easy too, especially if you go ahead and line your pan with foil in case of any spillages. And they love to do the decorating!!! Just be sure that you cool them first before doing the decorating. Keep us posted as to whether your sister cuts you out of her will. :)

I was going to suggest what expatgirl beat me to! It is a great way to serve cupcakes.
Alix, how long and what temp would you cook pound cake cupcakes? Would be good. The link didn't "do" but I have good pound cake recipes.

Gretchen, I think I fixed the link. And I would just watch the cupcakes to see if they are done. I am not sure how much less time they would need. Maybe 5-10 minutes less?

It is an idea for next time they visit that I will definately remember. They sure like their cakes - well any food actually! I think it is a family thing!

Back
Top Bottom