"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 04-10-2014, 10:13 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Cupcakes

Before I make his simple frosting for my cupcake ,wanted to ask will this type of frosting dry with a hard shell? I made something like this for a bundt cake but made it thinner and it did form a hard shell. But with it being thick like they show I don't know if that will do the same,also being thick would the frosting hold the shape if I pipe it? Has any one else ever made a thick glaze like frosting like this before? I imagine the taste is going to be very sweet. Please check this at video jug you tube..... Called how to make vanilla glaze for cupcakes. Is this ok really to frost cupcakes. Thanks

Old 04-11-2014, 01:11 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

What is the name of the frosting at Food Jug? I took a look and there are a lot of different baking recipes. Which one were you looking at?

Old 04-11-2014, 11:10 AM   #3
Senior Cook

It's not food jug but videojug.....how to make vanilla glaze for cupcakes. Is this really ok to use on cupcakes. I know something more with butter would be better, but interested in this one. Thinking since all powder sugar would be sweet and probably dry with a crust? Basically it's just powder super, heavy cream and vanilla,that's it. Like I said I made this before but in a glaze form not thick . But here shows you thick and not runny and on cupcakes?
Old 04-11-2014, 04:09 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumu View Post
It's not food jug but videojug.....how to make vanilla glaze for cupcakes. Is this really ok to use on cupcakes. I know something more with butter would be better, but interested in this one. Thinking since all powder sugar would be sweet and probably dry with a crust? Basically it's just powder super, heavy cream and vanilla,that's it. Like I said I made this before but in a glaze form not thick . But here shows you thick and not runny and on cupcakes?
The one that I found had her melting chocolate chips in heavy cream. It looks rather messy for cupcakes. A baker many years ago showed me a trick of dipping the top of a cupcake into the glaze or frosting. Much quicker and neater. You twist the cupcake when it is upside down. That way you still cover all the top.

To make the vanilla one, you had better have some room ready in your fridge. Because they are going to need to be in there really fast in order for the glaze to set. If you have made it on cakes and it wasn't runny, then I say go for it. I wasn't able to find the video that you referred to. If you could post the link, it would be so much more helpful.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:47 PM   #5
Senior Cook

All I did was go to google and type videojug glaze for cupcakes and its loaded on you tube . I believe it's the first one. He doesn't make it runny ....have watch video. Doesn't show it on cupcakes just what ingr. Look like it before u put it on cupcakes. I just don't believe how three ingr. Can make this. Like I said before I made this but it was glaze constitency. Or just put icing for cupcakes by videojug. It is two guys, then only one telling how to do it. Would it stay on the cupcake.?
Old 04-11-2014, 09:14 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Three ingredients will work just fine. We use this glaze (with milk rather than cream) on cookies at Christmas and it's drizzled on then gets hard.

You can adjust the thickness by adding more sugar or less cream. Also, it thickens/hardens after a while.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:23 PM   #7
Senior Cook

So by adjusting to a thicker con. Instead of glaze like. This would be ok to put on cupcakes. Just seems weird .... Only made this stuff as a glaze not any thicker. And to put on cupcakes seems different. What do you call this frosting if we're asked what it is? You know if used buttercream would say buttercream frosting but here ..... I don't know . Thx
Old 04-11-2014, 09:26 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumu View Post
So by adjusting to a thicker con. Instead of glaze like. This would be ok to put on cupcakes. Just seems weird .... Only made this stuff as a glaze not any thicker. And to put on cupcakes seems different. What do you call this frosting if we're asked what it is? You know if used buttercream would say buttercream frosting but here ..... I don't know . Thx
It's just a milk/cream and sugar glaze.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:07 AM   #9
Senior Cook

i used this on some cupcakes bec. i like the fact that it is only 2 ingr..but it just sits there, i made it thick to spread but not run off the cake. is this the way its suppose to be? best way to explain it is its flat. anything i can add to make it not look like its so flat? i dont know, maybe suppose be this way? the two ingr. are powder sugar and milk.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:25 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

It's supposed to look like that.

Tags
cake, cakes, cupcakes