Cupcakes too dense

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbhubbard

Assistant Cook
I am not new to baking but haven't had any formal training yet(in school for it now). I did just move back in with my parents who have a severely outdated oven and I am used to mine which was only a few years old? Could the older oven cause an issue when I am baking as far as density? I know that the time and temperature and all that can be different but surprisingly that all seems to be the same. I am a perfectionist and this is driving me insane. I have thrown away dozens of cupcakes because I refuse to let people eat them unless they are perfect. I need all the help I can get bc someone from work asked me to make them 5.5 dozen cupcakes soon and I won't be able to do it unless i fix the problem. And my baking soda/powder are brand new.

Thanks

You can pick up a stove thermometer in Target or other store. If you go to kitchen supply you will for sure find a decent one. Put that thermometer inside your oven and preheat to a certain temp, let's say 375 deg. Let it run for even 1-15 minutes and then check that inside thermometer see what temp shows on it. That will be the first step in figuring out the oven properties.
Also is the oven electric or gas? What kind of oven did you have before?

Last edited:
You can pick up a stove thermometer in Target or other store. If you go to kitchen supply you will for sure find a decent one. Put that thermometer inside your oven and preheat to a certain temp, let's say 375 deg. Let it run for even 1-15 minutes and then check that inside thermometer see what temp shows on it. That will be the first step in figuring out the oven properties.
Also is the oven electric or gas? What kind of oven did you have before?

Oh ok that makes sense I will have to do that. Both were electric. The one I used to use was a ge I think and I have no idea what this one is

I'd say start with the thermometer.
At the same time, being that the cup cakes too dence the first thing I would look is the time of cooking. Lets asume the oven is heating higher than it shows. Try to undercook them and see what happens.

I'd say start with the thermometer.
At the same time, being that the cup cakes too dence the first thing I would look is the time of cooking. Lets asume the oven is heating higher than it shows. Try to undercook them and see what happens.

Great thank you very much

Oh ok that makes sense I will have to do that. Both were electric. The one I used to use was a ge I think and I have no idea what this one is

On the edge of the oven, usually the left side there should be a metal plate telliing you what brand of stove you have. the letters are usually raised. :angel:

Ok I switched to cake flour and that seemed to work but now they are dry. I swear it's like I've never baked before!!!

Are you using the same recipe you've used before or is this a new recipe?

Back
Top Bottom