"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 11-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardeffect View Post
To me, it looks like the top of the cupcake sets before the bottom does and then the liquid bottom leaks to the top through a crack. Maybe put it on a lower shelf in the oven?
I will try that! Thank you!

Old 11-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaCathrine View Post
Here is pictures of two cupcakes.
One with the bump, and one that I think is perfect, do you agree? (Or should it be even more flat?)
I like the look of the second one, the smooth rounded top

Old 11-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Me too.. I did exactly the same with that one as with the other one..
Old 11-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

It looks like you used small paper water cups on the first one. That paper is not meant to be baked and is thicker than cupcake paper. Therefore more heat is going into the paper cup than into the cake batter.

For a flat top, use only the paper cups meant for the cupcakes. Then fill the paper cups 2/3 full and flatten the batter in the center with a spoon. You will get a flat top cupcake. The batter should then bake to the top of the paper and the frosting should bring it above the paper. Easier to frost.

We have some pro bakers here. Am I right? This is what I do when I have to make cupcakes for an event.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie
It looks like you used small paper water cups on the first one. That paper is not meant to be baked and is thicker than cupcake paper. Therefore more heat is going into the paper cup than into the cake batter.

For a flat top, use only the paper cups meant for the cupcakes. Then fill the paper cups 2/3 full and flatten the batter in the center with a spoon. You will get a flat top cupcake. The batter should then bake to the top of the paper and the frosting should bring it above the paper. Easier to frost.

We have some pro bakers here. Am I right? This is what I do when I have to make cupcakes for an event.
Aha! Addie, I think you have it!
Old 11-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Aha! Addie, I think you have it!
Hey at my age, I have done it all. They don't call me Miss Take for nothing. And when I am having a real tripping day, they call me Miss Graceless. Graceland could never be my home.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:35 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Thank you! Then I probably donīt fill it enough!
So the white once are not for baking, good to know!
I have the same problem when I use the normal paper cup..
Old 11-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaCathrine View Post
Thank you! Then I probably donīt fill it enough!
So the white once are not for baking, good to know!
I have the same problem when I use the normal paper cup..
Definitely do not use the white paper cups. If you look at where they are folded along the sides, the heat has to get through three layer of thick folds of paper. On the papers meant for cupcakes, it is one layer of thin paper. And no, you are not filling your cups enough. Good luck. Let us know how you make out.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #19
Master Chef

I'm not a baker either but I've had that happen to me many times! Mostly when I use cupcake mix or if my batter is too thin. My solution apart from a thicker batter is to make a dent in the middle of the batter with the back of a spoon before putting it in the oven. This might be a cheat since it just counter acts the bump but it works for me!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

So no white cups! It makes sense that they are thicker, but since I found them in the cupcake shelf and I have seen others using them I didnītīthink that it would be a problem! Thats why I love forums!

And make the batter thiner. In Norway, when we make muffins (so you use that name too? What the difference between a cupcake and a muffin?) the batter is really thin! You can just poor it into the cups! So for me it is weird to have thick batter for cupcakes! But i will definitely trie that next time!

Seems like I have to bake new cupcakes soon!

Tags
other, cupcakes