Cut and Come Again Cake Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

millicent

Assistant Cook
This is an old english recipe. Its a type of fruit cake, laced with brandy.

ingredients
8oz SR flour
4oz hard margarine
4oz caster sugar
9oz mixed fruit (toss it in a little flour to stop the fruit sinking)
1 level teaspoon mixed spice
1 egg
5oz SKIMMED milk (trust me it tastes better than using regular milk)
1/4 teaspoon salt
grated rind of 1 orange or lemon
1 dessertspoon marmalade
1/2 teacup Brandy (about 200mls)

method
cream margarine and sugar together, add the egg, marmalade and rind.
sift flour with salt and mixed spice and add to the mixture.
add the fruit. Mix well and pour into a greased/floured cake tin.

bake on the middle shelf Mk4 gas ( im sorry i dont know how to convert this to electric cookers)
for 1-1hr 20mins. cover with foil if it looks too brown during the later stage of cooking. Test after 1 hour.

When the cake is cool, turn upside down and skewer the base with about a dozen holes. Drizzle brandy over the base. Cover cake with foil and leave upturned for a few hours. Then turn it up the right way and re-cover.

The following day or two, periodically turn the cake over, keeping it covered.
Then stand back and watch it disappear.
I usually make two cakes at a time as it goes so quick.
Let me know if you love this cake as much as i do.:chef:

Last edited:
I love this recipe. I keep reading it and rereading it because I am checking to see if I have all the ingredients. Just a couple of questions if you don't mind.

9oz mixed fruit (toss it in a little flour to stop the fruit sinking)
Is this the traditional waxed fruit for fruit cakes?

1 level teaspoon mixed spice
Is this cinnamon, cloves, and ginger?

1 dessertspoon marmalade
Is this orange marmalade?

I am going to use a 9x13 cake pan. I am planning to bake it at 325F for 1-1 20 min in a gas oven.

Hello, thankyou for your compliment. I guarantee youll love this cake.
The fruit is a mix of raisins and sultanas, and a little mixed peel if you have any.
I use orange marmalade but you could use a different flavour if you use the rind from that fruit eg, lemon marmalade with lemon rind, lime marmalade with lime rind.

Mixed spice is sold already mixed in the uk, ive looked at the label and its a combination of coriander,cloves,cinnamon,ginger,turmeric,caraway seeds,dill, fennel and nutmeg.

Oh dear, that sounds like a right kerfuffle. I do hope you can buy it in your shops as Mixed Spice and not have to make your own. I could send some to you, its very lightweight.

I use a 7inch circular cake tin but you can use any tin of suitable size.
I cant wait till you try it

I JUST HAD A HORRIBLE THOUGHT. When i say rind, i dont mean peel. I use a grater and grate all the outer orange part,not the white part (is this the zest?) i hope i havent mislead anyone. whew!

millicent: The outer, coloured layer of a citrus is the zest, the white layer is the pith, the whole lot may be called the peel, but that usually refers to the coloured layer only.

Back
Top Bottom