Date and Orange Torte

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dodi

Senior Cook
40g plain flour
1tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 eggs, separated
75g soft brown sugar
4 tbsp vegetable oil
finely grated rind of 1 medium orange
175g dates, chopped
100g walnuts, roughly chopped
juice of 1 orange
3 tbsp icing sugar
12 kumquats, sliced
150 ml sugar syrup
whipped cream

Oil and line a 24cm spring-form tin -----
Sift and mix together the flour, baking powder and salt Whisk the egg yolks with the sugar until pale Whisk in the oil and orange rind Whisk the egg whites -----
Add the flour mixture, dates and walnuts into the egg-yolks mixture alternately with the egg whites until well combined ---

Preheat oven to 180C ---- Transfer the mixture into the tin, and bake for about 30 minutes ---

Place the orange juice and icing sugar in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Pour over the warm cake and leave to cool in the tin ---

Cook the kumquat slices in the syrup for about 5 minutes, leave to cool ---

Drain and reserve few slices for decoration, place the remainder in a separate bowl Pipe a little whipped cream on top of the torte and decorate with kumquat slices Serve with the reserved kumquat slices -----

Sugar syrup

225g sugar
600ml water
2 tbsp lemon juice

Dissolve sugar in the water over gentle heat, add lemon juice and bring to the boil Cool the syrup and drain ( you can have 300 ml water and 300 ml orange juice)

Last edited:
Dodi, a couple of questions:

You have listed as the ingredients:
1 1/2 plain flour - 1 1/2 of what? Cups, Kilos, or Pounds?
75 soft brown sugar - I'm assuming grams

It sounds great. I may have to make this soon.

Editted to add a couple more questions:
When you listed the ingredients for the orange syrup, there weren't any oranges included in that? Just the sugar, water, and lemon juice.
What is the syrup used to boil the kumquats in? Is it the orange syrup in the previous question?

Last edited:
Ok, one more question.

You now have the flour listed as "40 g". I got out my scale and weighted out 40 grams of flour, and it's not that much, about 1/4 c of flour. Is there a typo there?

Ok, I made it today (finally found some fresh kumquats).

It's rather interesting. I may have to play with this one a few times.

Back
Top Bottom