Date Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aunt Bea

Master Chef
This cake used to appear at all of our holiday celebrations, potlucks and picnics.

I still make it a couple of times a year and remember the old souls who made it for me.

If you try it I know you will enjoy it!

It is easy to make, travels well and disappears quickly! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Date Cake
1 1/2 -2 cups of whole dates cut into pieces, one standard size package, don’t drive yourself nuts.
1 cup solid vegetable shortening (I use Crisco)
2 cups boiling water
2 cups sugar
2 FRESH eggs
2 t baking soda
1 t salt
1 t vanilla
2 cups AP flour
1 cup roughly chopped walnuts

[FONT=&quot]Mix dates, shortening and boiling water. When the shortening has melted add sugar, eggs, soda, salt vanilla, flour and nuts. Bake in a 9 x 13 pan at 350 degrees for approximately one hour. I start checking after about 50 minutes. Cool to room temperature and frost using your favorite cream cheese frosting recipe. If you can find cream cheese with pineapple in your area use that instead of plain cream cheese.[/FONT]

Aunt B you're evil lol! Date cake is one of the few sweet things I have a weekness for. Won't even try and make it, I'll eat the whole thing.

That sounds absolutely wonderful!
Can fresh dates be used? Oddly enough, there is a grocer not far from here that occasionally has fresh dates.
Fresh meaning not dried...I doubt that they were picked locally.

That sounds absolutely wonderful!
Can fresh dates be used? Oddly enough, there is a grocer not far from here that occasionally has fresh dates.
Fresh meaning not dried...I doubt that they were picked locally.

I don't think you would get a good result using fresh dates.

I have never had the luxury of working with fresh dates.

I think if I was working with fresh dates I would try making a pineapple upside down cake and swap the pitted fresh dates for the pineapple.

I have always used dried pitted whole dates.

Bea, thank you for this wonderful sounding recipe :)

We have pitted dates and I was thinking of making a date cake...so I will certainly use your recipe :)

Back
Top Bottom