Date Loaf Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phil

Senior Cook
Holiday greetings, all. I meant to submit this last year and let time slip away. This is a fantastic entry for the holidays and I hope you will try it. This recipe was published by Dr. Robert E. Baker of Dallas. His wife won first place at the State Fair of Texas several years ago. I must say that, for me, the most important ingredient is the pecans. They really need to be fresh. Pecans that are packaged at the large discount stores are flavorless. so please be ware. I like to have a slice of this cake with whipped cream. This is truly an outstanding dessert.
Enjoy, Phil

1 cup flour; 2 rounded teaspoons baking powder; 1 tsp. salt, 1 lb. pecans, unbroken; 1 lb. whole dates; 1 cup sugar; 4 eggs separated; 1 tsp. vanilla.
Preheat oven to 325 F. Stir together the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix thoroughly with the nuts and dates, then add sugar and blend. Add beaten egg yolks to mixture, then fold in stiffly beaten egg whites and vanilla. Pack into a loaf pan lined with greased wax paper. Bake for 1 hour. Makes 12 servings.

No pecans?

that sounds just wonderful. would have to leave out the nuts but should still be good. have date nuggets that should work. thanks
Is is just pecans or nuts in general? I'd think walnuts or almonds would be a good substitute. While I slammed the discount houses on pecans, I find that the dates they sell are great. I buy whole dates in a 48 oz. package. Normally that would be a waste but dates last a very long time. Good luck.

Hey Phil, I'd have to eliminate the pecans as well due to allergies in the house. (My girls are each allergic to a different nut! How irritating!)

Before I do that though, do you suppose this is a "kid friendly" recipe? That is, would they be interested in eating it? If its one of those things that most kids would turn up their noses at, I might give the pecans a go. Otherwise I'd need to substitute almonds.

Alergic?

Hey Phil, I'd have to eliminate the pecans as well due to allergies in the house. (My girls are each allergic to a different nut! How irritating!)

Before I do that though, do you suppose this is a "kid friendly" recipe? That is, would they be interested in eating it? If its one of those things that most kids would turn up their noses at, I might give the pecans a go. Otherwise I'd need to substitute almonds.

I didn't imagine so many people were alergic to pecans. I thought peanuts were the bigger culpret, but there are billions of us. This is a semi sweet cake that was touted by the good Dr. as being very low in cholestrol, sodium, fat, and other demons that affect our healthy way of life. It's not chewy like many fruit cakes. And, you can freeze it. I made it last year for a neighbor and they pigged out on it and ate half of it for dinner! I really like to top it with fresh whipped cream and sprinkle it with homemade carmalized pecans. I do love pecans. I add pecans to my chicken salad along with red grapes and honey crisp apples, but that's another story. I hope you try it.
Phil

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom