Dense yellow cake recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vagriller

Head Chef
I had a dense yellow cake once from a bakery. It was incredible, and I would like to make one. Does anyone have a recipe for dense yellow cake?

Ishbel said:
I'm dying to learn exactly what IS a dense yellow cake :)

Well, most of what I have eaten at parties is the store bought cake mixes. It is good, but I have had cake that was better. I guess it had less air in it or something. Kind of hard to explain.

Try this -

1-2-3-4 Cake

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
3 cups sifted self-rising flour
1 cup milk
2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease and flour 3 (9-inch) cake pans. Using an electric mixer, cream butter until fluffy. Add sugar and continue to cream well for 6 to 8 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour and milk alternately to creamed mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Add vanilla and continue to beat until just mixed. Divide batter equally among prepared pans. Level batter in each pan by holding pan 3 or 4 inches above counter, then dropping it flat onto counter. Do this several times to release air bubbles and assure you of a more level cake. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until done. Cool in pans 5 to 10 minutes. Invert cakes onto cooling racks. Cool completely and spread cake layers with your favorite frosting to make a 3-layer cake.

that sounds like a tasty cake recipe--would have a frosting recipe that would suit it? thanks.

arlienb said:
that sounds like a tasty cake recipe--would have a frosting recipe that would suit it? thanks.
I like the store bought chocolate frosting for yellow cake. The homemade kind never seems to be as dark or smooth.

I don't think the 1-2-3-4 cake would be dense. It is very delicious however. Makes a great caramel cake with homemade caramel icing.
Was the cake a pound cake?

No, you already said it wasn't. With a coconut icing the 1-2-3-4 cake might make it, but as I said, I don't usually think of that as "dense".
If it was very moist and sweet I was going to suggest tres leches.

Gretchen said:
No, you already said it wasn't. With a coconut icing the 1-2-3-4 cake might make it, but as I said, I don't usually think of that as "dense".
If it was very moist and sweet I was going to suggest tres leches.

Ah, never heard of tres leches. I bow to your culinary knowledge.:flowers:

Just found this on a google search:

"One way that I've found to add "denseness or weight" to a cake mix is to substitute yogurt or sour cream for the liquids."

Anyone have some input on that?

Sour Cream adds more density to any cake mix without adding sweetness. In fact depending on how tangy the sour cream is, it can actually cut some of the sweetness. I use this a lot as I prefer a heavier vs fluffy cake. Heavier cakes hold up better if stacking or adding a lot of decorating.

Caryl, that is a great justification for using sour cream in my cheesecakes. Thanks for the insight, you're awesome!!!

May you have enough happiness to make you sweet, enough trials to make you strong, enough sorrow to keep you human, enough hope to make you happy.

And friends like you to make life worthwhile :angel:

You know, you could call the bakery and ask them. Googling for things that might make it "denser" isn't really going to get the recipe. Or you could just start with what we have suggested and report back.

Gretchen said:
I don't think the 1-2-3-4 cake would be dense. It is very delicious however. Makes a great caramel cake with homemade caramel icing.
Was the cake a pound cake?

Gretchen, the recipe I posted above -does - make a dense cake - almost like a crumb cake. Why don't you post a recipe you have for a 'dense' yellow cake, so we can compare?

I don't have one and I'd take your word for it. The times I have made it--and the lady in DH's home town that made caramel cake with it--I just wouldn't describe it as dense. I'd suggest that the OP make it rather than me and decide if that is what it is. I think pound cake is dense. 1234 cake has a sort of crumb, as you said. Maybe that is dense to you.

Gretchen said:
I don't have one and I'd take your word for it. The times I have made it--and the lady in DH's home town that made caramel cake with it--I just wouldn't describe it as dense. I'd suggest that the OP make it rather than me and decide if that is what it is. I think pound cake is dense. 1234 cake has a sort of crumb, as you said. Maybe that is dense to you.

I'm not sure how you can comment on the qualities of a cake you don't have a recipe for, and have never made.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom