Dessert "Croutons"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

*amy*

Washing Up
With the summer months approaching, this is a "cool" way to dress up your dessert(s).

Pound cake or angel food cake sliced/cubed. Place on a nonstick baking sheet and baked at 350 - turn halfway thru baking, about 4 mins through cooking time. Keep checking so it doesn't get too brown. Alternately, you can saute the pound cake slices/cubes in butter in a skillet, or grill with assorted fruits of choice, ie mangos, peaches, pineapple, etc.

The pound cake cake can be any flavor of choice i.e. chocolate, lemon, lemon & blueberry, chocolate chip, pumpkin, eggnog etc. (A pound cake recipe I want to try is earl gray & rosemary.) Banana bread "croutons" is another idea.

A few ideas for the "croutons":

Parfaits - Layer lemon yogurt (or honey mixed w vanilla yogurt), w berries - strawberries, blueberries, or mangos.

Top a fruit soup (strawberry, peach etc.) w the "croutons."

Ice cream parfaits.

Fruit trifle.

Grilled fruit kebabs & pound cake croutons. Alternate the fruits with the cubed pound cake on skewers.

Let your imagination be your guide.

Last edited:
Never thought about a dessert crouton... DW want know what to think when I start toasting cubes of Buttermilk Cake....:LOL:

Mmmm. Would love your recipe, Bob.

Wonder what she would think if you cut them up like french fries & made:

Faux Fries with Rasperry Ketchup

The Surreal Gourmet
(Scroll up & see the pic on the right)

:LOL:

Last edited:
AMY, i think this is such a cool idea. plan to use it in the near future.

babe;);)

Thanks, babe. You could sprinkle the "croutons" over a banana split or a hot fudge sundae, or strawberries & whipped cream (like a shortcake). Have fun & enjoy. :)

Great idea! Thanks!

Welcome, Andrea. :)

Hmmm... wonder if we can get two slices of chocolate pound cake in the toaster, & make warm open-faced strawberry shortcake sandwiches. :pig:

(For inspiration - Chocolate Pound Cake with Almond Whipped Cream)
Chocolate Pound Cake

Last edited:
i keep reading this as "if you leave fresh bread cubes in the desert, you'll get desert croutons".

i keep reading this as "if you leave fresh bread cubes in the desert, you'll get desert croutons".

Think, pound cake cut in cubes - and used as a garnish for dessert; rather than bread cubes in a salad. Hope that makes sense.

i was only goofing around, but that makes perfect sense, and truthfully sounds very good. thanks amy.

Someone's pulling my croutons.

OR - you can always bury that fruitcake from last christmas under some ice cream.:ermm:

Well I think it's a dumb idea...................................
img_577641_0_907eeb1b3cefb351a243b070a1be817c.gif
(running to store to buy pound cake!!!!!)

Back
Top Bottom