"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 02-24-2011, 02:45 PM   #11
Head Chef

This is a fool-proof recipe for chocolate cake with peanut butter icing that ANYONE can make.
Dry Ingredients:
2 Cups of All-Purpose Flour
1 Cup of Sugar
2 teaspoons of baking soda
1/2 cup of unsweetened Cocoa Powder
Wet Ingredients:
1 Cup of Mayonnaise
1 cup of water
1 teaspoon of vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Grease and flour a 9 x 13 glass baking dish. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients. Make a well in the center and add all of the wet ingredients. Mix well with a wire whisk until the batter is smooth.
Pour in the prepared baking dish. Bake 25 to 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.

For the frosting:
1/2 cup of butter, room temperature
1 cup of Creamy Peanut Butter
2 cups of Confectioners Sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
5 tablespoons of heavy cream (if you don't have heavy cream you can substitute milk)

In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and peanut butter until smooth. Add the vanilla. Gradually add the powdered sugar. Add the cream, one tablespoon at a time until it reaches the desired consistency. Beat at least 3 minutes until it is light and fluffy!

Here is a picture of cupcakes that I made a while back using this recipe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chocolate-Mayonnaise-Cake-with-Whipped-Peanut-Butter-Frosting.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	10083  

Old 02-24-2011, 03:31 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
This is a fool-proof recipe for chocolate cake with peanut butter icing that ANYONE can make.
That sounds really yummy. I've been looking for a good peanut butter frosting recipe... this might be the one I try.

leighbakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:46 PM   #13
Head Chef

I'd love to hear how you like it. If you choose to make cupcakes, they won't take as long to bake...maybe only 18 to 20 minutes. I can't remember exactly how long I baked those.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:55 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Bananas Foster. Simple, easy and great over ice cream. You don't have to light the brandy either. Irish Coffee is also a great dessert.

Craig
Old 02-24-2011, 09:34 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post

(I really need to start making desserts, most ppl i know have a HUGE sweet tooth!)

Fish
I HATE making desserts, LOL. You are right that lots of folks have a sweet tooth, however. My favorite dinner party dessert dodge is to serve fresh fruit and cheese with liqueurs as dessert, then move to another area and put out bought chocolate with a lovely coffee.

I do enjoy making sweets like baklava, fudge, fried apple pies, cream puffs, pecan balls and the like. To me they aren't desserts, but late afternoon treats. When need be, I make a tray of these as dessert, with no complaints.

Ice cream, with some fun twist, works. Take a glass per person and layer the ice cream with sauces, fruit, liqueurs, nuts, and cake or cookie bits - stash in the freezer and top with whipped cream at serving time.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:26 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Here is an easy one to start with:

Wax Cookies

Boil 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup light Karo syrup.
Add 1-1/2 cup peanut butter and stir well.
Stir in 3 cups Kellog's Special K.
Press into 8x8x2' pan.

Topping:
Melt 1/4 bar parifin wax and 6 oz. real chocolate chips.
Spread over first mixture and cool slightly. Cut while still warm.

Very easy, and good.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:52 AM   #17
Senior Cook

You could make the trifle a chocolate trifle, with chocolate sponge, Chocolate custard and cream on top, really easy and tasty.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:40 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraC View Post

I do enjoy making sweets like baklava, fried apple pies,
My wife makes the baklava its one of the reasons I married her, its also one of the reasons I have been on a diet for the last 4 weeks. What is a fried apple pie also Pecan Bolas
Old 02-26-2011, 08:02 AM   #19
Senior Cook

A fried apple pie is a traditional Southern (American) treat, made with dried apples. Stew the apples, with a little sugar and some spice if you like. Let cool. Make a lard based pie crust and roll slightly thicker than you would for a baked pie. Cut into 6 inch rounds, spoon a couple of tablespoons of cooled filling onto the crust, then fold in half, so you have a half moon shape. Seal the edges, then fry in a generous amount of oil until both sides are brown and crisp. You can sprinkle with sugar or glaze them while they are hot. Let cool a minute or two, then bite into heaven!

Pecan balls are also claimed as a Southern specialty, but actually a little more ubiquitous. In fact a very similar cookie is sold as a "Mexican Wedding Cookie". Whir pecans in a food processor until finely minced - you want the smallest pieces you can get without making them oily. In a large bowl beat 1 C butter (no substitutes, please) until light and fluffy. When you have a cup of pecan bits mix them with 3/4 C Confectioner's sugar (the kind with cornstarch) and 2 C of AP flour, then beat into the butter. Mix in 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Form the dough into marble sized balls, place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake 20 minutes at 325F. You want just the faintest browning around the base of the cookie. Immediately remove from the pan and roll in more confectioners sugar. Place on a rack to cool. When cool, roll in sugar again, then store tightly covered. The quality of the nuts is crucial to a good cookie. They last as long as you can keep them. This recipe makes about 60 bite sized cookies.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Strawberries layered with sour cream (or, Greek yogurt), sprinkled with brown sugar, more strawberries, more sour cream, topped with brown sugar. My "I hate to cook" mother used to make this. She'd serve it in sherbert glasses (the ones that are deeper than the round champagne glasses).

Tags
None