"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 12-25-2015, 04:22 PM   #11
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	24052

Yeah, so, I'm doomed alright!
DANG IT!!
Look at that, wouldja?
Sogged out, say a third of the way... oh well, I was thinking about it and many a Cheesecake I've had out at restaurants, etc that were the same way, so...
I bought some 72% cocoa Chocolate and some Caramels, I'll just disguise it.

Old 12-25-2015, 04:24 PM   #12
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
...snipped ...

And then there's this - the two pan method:

I am SO using this method next time, thanks Janet!

Old 12-26-2015, 11:21 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
For the flourless chocolate cake we made last year, I buttered the bottom of a cake pan, covered it with a round of parchment, then buttered the parchment. The cake came right out, we peeled off the parchment, and it was perfect. Iced it will cinnamon and dark-chocolate ganache. Oh so good
My memory is coming back and I remember carefully cutting out and buttering parchment paper to cover the complete inside of the cheese cake pan.
How I got it out without destroying it is beyond comprehension. But I did and was successful.
I have this exact pan. Its the one I used to make my one and only homemade cheese cake.
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2015, 11:49 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

You shouldn't need to put parchment up the sides. When you remove the cake from the oven, run a knife around the inside of the pan to loosen it. This will also help prevent cracking as the cake cools.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:04 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I've never had a problem making cheesecake. In fact, I just made one (Oreo cookie variety) this week to bring to our family Christmas event.

I don't use a water bath and have no problems with my cakes. I do, however, line the bottom of the pan with parchment before I attach the side ring. I do that so I don't have to worry about leaving the cake pan bottom behind when I share a cake. Once the cake is baked, all I have to do is slide the cake off using the parchment.

Most, if not all, of my recipes direct me to bake for a specified time, then remove from the oven for about 10 minutes, spread on the topping and return to the oven for a few minutes to set the topping. After the final baking time, they're cooled for a few minutes and I run a thin knife around the sides to loosen it. Refrigerate and, when fully cooled, remove the ring and put the cake on a plate. Always perfect results.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:18 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
You shouldn't need to put parchment up the sides. When you remove the cake from the oven, run a knife around the inside of the pan to loosen it. This will also help prevent cracking as the cake cools.
I was following Alton Browns instructions. The recipe said to line the bottom and sides. I cut out a long piece and made it into a ring. I'm still amazed I was able to get it out, then turn it back over.
It was not a very firm cheese cake.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:35 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

I watched Alton Brown make a cheesecake and he heated the finished cheesecake in the pan on a burner for a few seconds to slightly soften the butter in the crust so he could invert the cake, remove the pan and plate it.

I do that with my 10" springform to make it easier to get it onto a serving plate.

If I'm baking a cake, I line the bottom with parchment and grease the parchment. I never did the sides. I just rum a knife around the pan to loosen the sides and invert.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:19 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I had heard of the two pan method before. But since it was a long time before I made another cheesecake, I had forgotten about it. Then the next year I remembered it. It works like a charm. Before that I used to put a roasting pan on the shelf below filled almost to the top with water. That too worked like a charm. So this year when I had to make a couple of different ones, I decided to go with the two pan method. And that will be my "go to" method from here on in.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:58 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Do any of you use the Cake Release recipe?

Christmas babies really lose out being born on or even too near Christmas. Pirate was one of those babies. As a result this child of mine has never, ever had his birthday acknowledged. No cards, gifts or cake.

So this year I made the Hershey's Chocolate Chocolately cake. His very favorite. I made it in a Bundt pan. He thought I was making it for Christmas at his sister's house. I am not a big fan of Pam or other spray products. They tend to run down the sides and create a puddle on the bottom. And in a Bundt pan, there is even more puddles. It still requires the step of flouring the pan. So this time I used the cake release. So much easier and I knew from past experiences my cake was going to release completely. No second step of flouring required.

For those of you who don't know or have it, here it is.

1 1/4 cup solid vegetable shortening (Crisco or other similar product)
1/4 cup of vegetable oil
1/4 cup of all purpose flour

Mix together in a small container all the ingredients. When using, spread with a pastry brush (silicone works best) to coat cake pans prior to adding batter.

This works great. I have never had a failure of a cake sticking. And it is less expensive than Pam or any other spray, and no second step of flouring.

Store in a container with a lid in your cupboard just like you would your shortening.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:45 PM   #20
Executive Chef

I just wanted everyone to know that Nordic Ware sells several springform pans that do not leak.

Tags
cake, cheese, cheesecake