"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 12-23-2015, 07:28 PM   #1
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Did I Blow This Cheesecake?

I made that second Cheesecake this afternoon; I wrapped the bottom of the springform pan in a double layer of heavy-duty tin foil, put it into a Bain Marie, baked it off as directed... I pulled it out to let it cool off, I peeled back the tin foil and... THERE'S WATER IN THERE!!!
Granted, not a lot, maybe 2 or 3 Tablespoons that was between the foil and the bottom of the pan, but, but...
Am I doomed? will I have a soggy bottom crust?
I really wanted to take this second cake over to the neighbors for their New Year's Eve party... *sob* *sniff*

Old 12-23-2015, 07:54 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
I made that second Cheesecake this afternoon; I wrapped the bottom of the springform pan in a double layer of heavy-duty tin foil, put it into a Bain Marie, baked it off as directed... I pulled it out to let it cool off, I peeled back the tin foil and... THERE'S WATER IN THERE!!!
Granted, not a lot, maybe 2 or 3 Tablespoons that was between the foil and the bottom of the pan, but, but...
Am I doomed? will I have a soggy bottom crust?
I really wanted to take this second cake over to the neighbors for their New Year's Eve party... *sob* *sniff*
Ignore the water. Just a little condensation. Proceed as usual.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:59 PM   #3
Head Chef

Steam forms between the foil & the bottom of the pan. Sometimes it will get into the crust but not always. I always remove the foil asap. Did you leave the cake in the oven while the oven cooled down? If not, next time remove the foil and let the cake cool down in the oven. This helps if any moisture is in the cake.
As I have ran into this problem myself, I now fold a paper towel into 1/4 and place it between the pan & the foil. The towel absorbs any steam. To keep water from entering the pan it self I tape the bottom of the pan with painters tape,( blue masking tape ).
I hope this helps on your next cheesecake.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:27 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I never made a cheesecake until I came across a recipe that did *not* require baking it in a water bath because I didn't want to deal with the hassle and risk ending up with a soggy cake.

Off the top of my head, I think it called for baking for 50 minutes, then turning off the oven and leaving it in there for about an hour. I can look it up and post it if anyone is interested. It's a lemon cheesecake, but I imagine the method would work for any flavor.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:53 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I never trusted spring-form pans with water baths.
I'm not certain how I made my sour cream, cheese cake a few years ago, but the recipe was from Alton Brown and I was able to use a cake pan. A deep cake/pie pan.
I don't remember how I was able to invert and to turn it back over, but I do remember it coming out great. All in one piece I mean....
I bought the pan especially for cheesecake.
I don't trust spring-form if I'm using a water bath.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:47 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

For the flourless chocolate cake we made last year, I buttered the bottom of a cake pan, covered it with a round of parchment, then buttered the parchment. The cake came right out, we peeled off the parchment, and it was perfect. Iced it will cinnamon and dark-chocolate ganache. Oh so good
Old 12-24-2015, 03:51 PM   #7
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

How did it turn out?

I agree about spring from pans and water baths, btw - recipe for disaster but there are some things you can do..

Line the inside of the pan with foil. Once you have baked and cooled and taken away the pan edge/ring, you can flatten out the foil and then slice the cheesecake onto a platter. Even better is a proper cheese cake pan like this one :

Name:   pan.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  7.5 KB

With this pan, the foil goes in the pan before the bottom. Once baked and slid from the pan, the foil is easy to peel away from the side and the bottom stays under the cheesecake.

And then there's this - the two pan method:

Old 12-24-2015, 05:12 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

About water getting into the springform pan-I've never had an issue. Water does get between the pan and the foil but never inside the pan. Maybe it has to do with the pan quality.

I suspect the condensation happens as the pan is sitting in the turned off oven.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:23 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I've had a little water sneak in when using foil and springform but I usually pack down my crumb crust pretty tight and trim off anything that gets a little soggy.

You want to use the very wide foil so that there are no seams and I do a double layer.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 12:25 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I have two of these pans and I really love them. I still do the foil ( double layer of the very large heavy duty foil) on the outside to keep the sides pretty.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cake, cheese, cheesecake