"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes
Old 06-26-2005, 05:42 PM   #1
Head Chef
Don't laugh, used fondant for the first time

Here are some pictures of a box cake I made and decorated with a box of Wilton Fondant. I have never used this product and didn't want to spend my time on the cake, I used yellow box cake mix, so I could focus on learning to use fondant. It was really fun. As you can see, I still have A LOT to learn. heheh I think the rose may have been a little too big. And it's not positioned exactly in the center...come to think of it, I should have positioned it in the corner or something...

htc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 05:45 PM   #2
DC Grandma
I get the first slice !!!

May I always be the person my dog thinks I am.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 05:57 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
htc... as long as it tastes good that's all that matters lol
middie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 06:09 PM   #4
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to SpiceUmUp
what is fondant?
Where you are is where you belong, it is where you are going that you can change
SpiceUmUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 06:10 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
htc,it looks lovely...If you saw they way it would have turned out if I'd done it, you'd have a real knee slapper
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 09:26 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef
It's a cooked confection made of sugar, water and cream of tartar. After cooking, it has to be beaten and kneaded.

It is used to make a "frosting" for cakes. It can also be used to make cake decorations, etc.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 09:59 PM   #7
Head Chef
I don't know if I would have liked the taste. Might have been too sweet for me. I followed Wilton's buttercream frosting and man did THAT taste sweet. The box of fondant says to put a thin layer of frosting on then put the rolled fondant on. Can I use whipped cream frosting instead of buttercream? So it's not as sweet? I was afraid it wouldn't hold properly...
Old 06-26-2005, 10:01 PM   #8
Master Chef
htc, congratulations!! The cake looks great. I think that it is wonderful that you had the courage to try something new.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 08:33 AM   #9
Master Chef
htc, what a great first try with fondant! I need to practice with it too--it's just something I don't get around to enough. Did you like the Wilton pre-made fondant?

I'd stick to using the buttercream under the fondant. Whipped cream contains too much moisture and would be absorbed into the cake and the fondant. Buttercream acts as a better glue. I agree, Wilton's recipe is really sweet! Like you said, though, you don't need much at all--a crumb coat is sufficient.
-A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand
PA Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 10:55 AM   #10
Head Chef
PA, I really liked the premade fondant. Though I don't have anything to compare it to since I've never made sugar paste (?). I wonder if using fonant is the same as using marzipan...if I can shape it into little things.

Thanks for the advice with the frosting. hehehe. I used the whole recipe of frosting on one cake. yikes! It was because I was lazy to cut and level off my cake, so I needed the frosting to make it even. I also figured the person who the cake is going to loves sweet, so that doesn't hurt. I have left over fondant that I am going to use to practice making the smaller roses. This was really fun to do and I will DEFINITELY use fondant again.