Looking for dulce de leche in the grocery store?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

otuatail

Senior Cook
This recipie [FONT=&quot]Easy banoffee pie
[/FONT]
calles for dulce de leche and states [FONT=&quot]sometimes sold as caramel

Where in the uk (supermarket or other) can I get this.

[/FONT]

I don't live in the UK, but have made dulce de leche by putting unopened cans of sweetened condensed milk with paper labels removed in the slow cooker, covered them in water by about an inch over the cans, and cooked them on low for 8 hours.

I tried to translate this. It is Portuguese. The recipe was banoffee pie. I assumed it was banana and toffee as it name suggested to me.

Condensed milk is Not the same as Sweetened Condensed Milk <<< You need a can of this. And yes it works. If you do not have a crock pot you can also do this by putting the can, un-opened, in a kettle of water, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for ?x? Hours, adding more water periodically to keep above the can-line.

I think you can also open a can of Carnation Sweetened Condensed Milk and pour into a kettle. I do not know the method to cook it this way.
Maybe a double boiler?

You may also ask a large grocer to order some Carnation Dulce de Leche. I have seen it already made in Mexican/ Latin grocery stores here.

Last edited:
I don't live in the UK, but have made dulce de leche by putting unopened cans of sweetened condensed milk with paper labels removed in the slow cooker, covered them in water by about an inch over the cans, and cooked them on low for 8 hours.

I love that stuff. It is somewhat different than store bought stuff though. Store stuff is cooked on open fire and milk content is refuse by about half. But I like canned stuff better because that's what I grew up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Back
Top Bottom