"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 01-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #11
Admiral of the Texas Navy

I'm really glad it worked out for you Alix. Looks wonderful!

Old 01-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #12
Everymom

Tastes pretty darned awesome too! This sucker is sooooo good. My DH is completely hooked. It was amazing before, but the eggnog sub really hit the spot for him.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

no wonder elvis was so fat. seven eggs, good lord .
Old 01-08-2012, 12:11 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
no wonder elvis was so fat. seven eggs, good lord .
I thought the original recipe for pound cake was a pound of eggs, a pound of sugar, a pound flour...
Old 01-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #15
Everymom

So good...soooooo gooooood.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:12 PM   #16
Everymom

Got one of these babies in the oven right now and I tweaked the recipe a bit for fun. Used 1/2 cup sour cream and filled to 1 cup with 1% milk. Used only 6 eggs (that's all that was left) and added a sniff of maple flavoring as well. I'll let you know how it tastes.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #17
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Got one of these babies in the oven right now and I tweaked the recipe a bit for fun. Used 1/2 cup sour cream and filled to 1 cup with 1% milk. Used only 6 eggs (that's all that was left) and added a sniff of maple flavoring as well. I'll let you know how it tastes.
The cake was (as usual) fabulous. No difference to the crumb or flavour really. This cake is so good it needs nothing, but stands up so well to "stuff" on it. We were all just cutting slabs and walking around eating them out of our hands like toast. LOL!
Old 12-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #18
Everymom

.40, I have to tell you that this is probably my favorite pound cake recipe. It stands up well to any tweaking I might need to do (being short of eggs or cream etc) and it tastes amazing. Thanks again for posting this. Making one for dessert tonight! I'll be serving it with saskatoon sherbet or blackberry/saskatoon coulis.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #19
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Thanks Alix. I made one for Thanksgiving instead of pies to take to our gathering. It was well received by the in-laws.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

I have two top of my list for cakes. The first one is the Chocolatety Cake on the back of the Hershey's cocoa. The second one is a pound cake for the Wedding Dessert.

A slice of cake, some strawberry juice from the frozen strawberries run through a blender. Some sliced or whole strawberries. A small scoop of vanilla ice cream, whipped sweetened cream, repeat and top with a large dollop of whipped cream and a large strawberry. Both are always a big hit.

Tags
cake, recipe

Elvis Presley's Favorite Pound Cake This is one of my family's favorite cakes. Put one together yesterday. The real trick is to closely follow the directions concerning mixing times. Let the stand mixer run and do the work. Elvis Presley's Favorite Pound Cake -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Recipe By: Adapted from Gourmet Yield: Makes 10 to 12 servings Ingredients: 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened, plus additional for buttering pan 3 cups sifted cake flour (not self-rising, sift before measuring) plus additional for dusting 3/4 teaspoon salt 3 cups sugar 7 large eggs, at room temperature 30 minutes 2 teaspoons vanilla 1 cup heavy cream Special equipment: a 10-inch tube pan (4 1/2 inches deep, not with a removable bottom) or a 10-inch bundt pan (3 1/4 inches deep; 3-qt capacity) Directions: 1. Put oven rack in middle position, but do not preheat oven. 2. Generously butter pan and dust with flour, knocking out excess flour. 3. Sift together sifted flour (3 cups) and salt into a bowl. Repeat sifting into another bowl (flour will have been sifted 3 times total). 4. Beat together butter (2 sticks) and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes in a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment or 6 to 8 minutes with a handheld mixer. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low and add half of flour, then all of cream, then remaining flour, mixing well after each addition. Scrape down side of bowl, then beat at medium-high speed 5 minutes. Batter will become creamier and satiny. 5. Spoon batter into pan and rap pan against work surface once or twice to eliminate air bubbles. Place pan in (cold) oven and turn oven temperature to 350F. Bake until golden and a wooden pick or skewer inserted in middle of cake comes out with a few crumbs adhering, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Cool cake in pan on a rack 30 minutes. Run a thin knife around inner and outer edges of cake, then invert rack over pan and invert cake onto rack to cool completely. 3 stars 1 reviews