"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 05-09-2006, 11:15 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

The soda is correct for the cocoa in the recipe.
If you google for mayonnaise cakes some do have baking powder in addition to the soda, and the amounts vary. That doesn't explain why you are now having a problem with it, but sometimes if the cake rises too fast it will fall when removed. Hope you can work it out.
Google for mayonnaise cake recipe--or Miracle whip and take a look at some of the recipes. It might help you. I made this many many years ago too.

Old 05-09-2006, 11:40 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

I moved from 5500 ft elevation to sea level and had to adjust EVERY recipe I have for elevation. Is Ohio much different than Florida in elevation? I bet it is a matter of adjusting flour and moister for elevation differences.

Old 05-09-2006, 11:43 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

I think the difference might be 30 feet. ;o) And even in Denver I don't find that much problem with baking. Now in Silverthorne I do.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:42 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Ohio is much higher in elevation than Florida. How do you adjust the flour and moisture?
Old 05-09-2006, 02:49 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Try this link http://allrecipes.com/advice/coll/ba...cles/154P1.asp

It looks like if you are less than 3000 ft in both places there is no adjustment. But you could try some of the tips and see if they make a difference.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:55 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

No, no, no. You do not need to adjust for altitude!! I have lived in Ohio and Florida--NO adjustment.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:31 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Are you using the same brand of flour? I know that in the

southern part of the US self rising flour is a staple while in the northern parts I have to hunt for it. I could see myself buying flour and not giving a thought that it may be self rising. This would it cause it to rise too fast and then fall like Gretchen mentioned.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:34 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

You know, that is a really good possibility.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:04 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

After reading the last post I looked to see if I bought the self rising flour by mistake, hoping that was the reason, but no, it is regular. I am baking a cake today and trying the different ideas posted. Thank you for all your help and I will let you know the results.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:59 PM   #20
Senior Cook

not all cocoa is just cocoa. there are two types, natural and dutch process.
natural cocoa is acidic, and calls for baking soda.

dutch process cocoa is treated with alkali, so recipes using dutch process cocoa need baking powder.

your recipe calls for 2 teaspoons of baking soda. if you're using dutch instead of natural cocoa, it won't rise.

another possible problem is that 2 teaspoons of soda is an extreme amount if using natural cocoa, because soda is 3 or 4 time more powerful than baking powder (in other words, soda is only 1/4 to 1/3 of the volume in baking powder). if this is the case, then your cakes will be over-rising, making the bubble walls too thin to continue to support the weight, hence collapsing.

i'm just going to take a stab at amounts here, but i'd quess that about a tablespoon of baking powder if using dutch process cocoa or, about a 1/2 teaspoon of soda or a bit more if using natural cocoa.

actually, looking at the recipe again, i see that the cocoa is only 1/4 the amount of the flour, which is not really a lot, so i'd be inclined to suggest a mix of about 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons powder, and 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon soda.

if you continue to have problems, you could also try not removing the cakes immediately from the oven, but turning off the heat, cracking the oven door open a couple of inches, and give them some time to cool down more slowly. this sometimes works for cakes that are a little over-risen.

another possiblity that pops into mind would be the amount of flour. if you perhaps used to sift the flour after measuring, but are now measuring already sifted flour, you'll actually be using a lot less flour. the batter will be more runny and weak.
good luck

Tags
None