FINALLY!!! That perfect homemade yellow cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettyR

Senior Cook
I have been trying to find a good (from scratch) yellow cake recipe that’s moist, tender and has good flavor. After months of searching, testing and tinkering I’ve finally found what I was looking for.

This is a combination of two recipes; one was a pound cake and the other was a yellow cake. All of the yellow cakes that I had tried were the fat and sugar cream method and it was just not giving me what I wanted in a cake. Then I came across a pound cake recipe that dumped everything in a bowl and beat it up. It turned out moist and tender but heavier of course than a yellow cake.

So I decided to try combining the two recipes and hit the nail on the head the second try. I’ve made three more since just to be sure it would come out the same each time and it does.

Here is the recipe.

Basic Yellow Cake

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (do not sift the flour)
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups milk
Vegetable oil
1 stick butter (not margarine), softened
1-tablespoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs

Preheat oven to 350°

Cut wax paper to fit the bottom of (3) 9 x 1 1/2-inch round pans. Spray the pans with cooking spray, place the wax paper in the pans and spray the paper.

In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt, mixing well.

Measure the 1-1/4 cups of milk in a 2 cup measuring cup….then add enough vegetable oil to bring the liquid up to 1-1/3 cups.

Add the milk/vegetable oil mixture, butter and vanilla to the flour mixture and beat with an electric mixer on medium to medium-high speed for 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl as needed.

Add the eggs and continue beating an additional 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pans.

Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near center of cake comes out clean, or until cake springs back when touched lightly in the center.

Cool cakes on wire racks for 15 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely.

Frost as desired.

img_636334_0_da0c79b50b85cc1ce5b29779954d4830.jpg

img_636334_1_43a9bc78bd608ffdbb869629035d5d13.jpg

I know exactly what you mean, I have been trying also, they have been to dense or grainy just not like other homemade cakes.

Thank you !!!!

I am going to try it today - Hubbie will be thrilled.

I know exactly what you mean, I have been trying also, they have been to dense or grainy just not like other homemade cakes.

Thank you !!!!

I am going to try it today - Hubbie will be thrilled.

Please let me know how it turns out. I'm really curious to know if this is a recipe that is hard or easy to duplicate.

Betty, thanks so much for sharing this with us. I don't use cake mix, but I have yet to get the type of tender crumb you are showing in your pictures with a scratch cake, Can't wait to make this one.

I guess I missed this post last month. But glad I didn't now.
But what I'd like now is that fantasiclooking frosting.

Oh, and could you start working on a reverse cake please? (Choc. cake, vanilla icing) L O L !!!

Thanks for the recipe, Betty.

That looks sooooo good! It looks like it just may rival my grandmother's yellow cake recipe, which is very moist.

I guess I missed this post last month. But glad I didn't now.
But what I'd like now is that fantasiclooking frosting.

Oh, and could you start working on a reverse cake please? (Choc. cake, vanilla icing) L O L !!!

Thanks for the recipe, Betty.

The frosting on this cake is a really old frosting recipe handed down in my family for generations. I updated it just a bit and adapted it to the microwave, it’s my son’s favorite he calls yellow cake with this frosting Grandma cake.

Cooked Chocolate Frosting

Mix together in a large microwave save bowl:
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons cornstarch; packed
7 tablespoons cocoa
1 tablespoon butter
3/4 teaspoon salt

Stir in with a wire wisk :
1-1/2 cups boiling water

Cook in microwave on high at 1 minute intervals stirring well after each with the wire whisk. As mixture begins to thicken cook at 30 second interval until the mixture is very thick.

Then stir in 6 tablespoons of butter and 1 tablespoon of vanilla; stirring until the butter is melted; cool to frosting consistency and frost cake.

If you prefer to cook it on the stove just stir the boiling water into the dry ingredients and cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thick and bubbly; remove from heat and add the butter and vanilla.

That looks good. Do you have a perfect chocolate frosting recipe to go with it?

This frosting is perfect for this cake but then that’s just my opinion.

Hi. I was just wondering if the frosting recipe was really sweet? You know the kind that people sometimes don't like because it's so sweet.

Hi. I was just wondering if the frosting recipe was really sweet? You know the kind that people sometimes don't like because it's so sweet.

No this is not a sweet frosting, my son doesn't like frosting of any kind because he says they are too sweet but he likes this frosting.

This frosting is about as sweet as your average chocolate pudding.

Here yah go Betty!

I couldn't figure out how to send a picture in a private message.. so i'll just post my decating skills... :ermm:... for the whole world to see!...:chef:

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 309

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom