First recipe post! My grandmother's pound cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SallyW

Assistant Cook
This is a family favorite, my grandmother's pound cake. Be careful and don't over beat the egg whites, or the cake will be dry.

6 egg whites, reserve yolks
1-3/4 cups sugar, divided
2 sticks butter or oleo
6 egg yolks
2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon mace

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottom of a stem pan.

Beat egg whites until foamy and add 3/4 cup of the sugar. Continue beating until the egg whites are stiff. Set aside.

Cream together remaining sugar and butter. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Sift flour, baking powder, salt, and mace. Add to sugar/butter mixture. Beat well.

Fold in egg whites.

Spoon into stem pan and bake for about 1 hour. Remove from oven and cool for 10 or 15 minutes on a rack. Remove from pan.

Ohhh I am so not good with delicate stuff, but lucky DW is! I will give the recipe to her to make for me, LOL.
Thanks!

Just a guess here but maybe a stem pan is a tube pan like you use for angelfood cake or possibly sub a bundt pan.

Oh, I love pound cake! Thanks so much for recipe, Sally. I've got this printed and will be making it soon.

I have a question regarding mace. Would substituting it with nutmeg alter the taste, you think?

Constance, a stem pan is as Jabbur said, a tube pan. I generally use a bundt pan. Carol, nutmeg would probably work, but I'd cut way back on the amount. I think of mace as having a more delicate flavor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom