Flourless Chocolate Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
As per request for Janet H. This makes a 4x10 inch cake which is rich and delicate. You can also double recipe and use 4 8 inch round cake pans.

Flourless Chocolate Cake
Cake:
5 large eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup icing sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1 tsp vanilla

Filling:
1 cup whipping cream
2 tsp icing sugar

Chocolate Glaze:
1 tbsp butter
1/2 cup icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 square (oz) semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
2 tbsp boiling water

Separate eggs. Beat whites with salt until stiff. Add confectioners' sugar 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat egg yolks until thick, then mix in cocoa and vanilla. Fold whites into chocolate mixture and spread into a 15 x 10 inch pan lined with wax paper and greased. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Let cool. Cut crosswise into four strips.

Whip cream with icing sugar and spread between the cake layers.

Mix glaze ingredients over hot (not boiling water) until butter and chocolate are melted. Pour over cake allowing it to drip over the sides. Dust with icing sugar if desired.

Last edited:
I made a flourless cake (torte) for my daughter for her first birthday after moving to California. It had always been her favorite. It was delicious but doesn't travel well. She said they ate it with a spoon. It's quite a long way from Florida to California.

Stop you in your tracks, I will. Try the "Flourless Cake?" thread for more recipes.

Sorry, PrincessFiona, I didn't mean to anger "Your Ogerness", :angel: I was just doing what I tell everyone else to do and that is link out to the appropriate forum.....forgetting the OP already posted in the appropriate thread. :wacko:

Yours and the others all sound great too. I will have to try them.....but mine is as well...:rolleyes:

:LOL::LOL:

Thanks for the recipe. I made it (doubled it actually) but instead of cutting into strips and layering I did it up jelly roll style. There were berries in the center of the cake and it looked like a giant Ho ho.

I covered the whole thing in ganache, made up a raspberry sauce and served it with some extra berries - it was yummy and really easy to do. The birthday girl loved the cake and especially appreciated the light texture of the cake.

This is going into my collection of 'do again' cakes :)

Attachments

• gails cake1.jpg
    gails cake1.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 226
  • gails cake 2.jpg
    gails cake 2.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 222
I am glad you liked it. It is so easy (and yet so decadent). I love your switch-ups and will add it to my notes for another time.

I have doubled it, making 4 8" round layers, with the cream and cherries between and cherry flavoured ganache on top and just dripping down the sides for a light (and gluten free) black forest cake!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom