Fondant question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SodiumPentathol

Assistant Cook
I usually decorate my cupcakes, cakes, etc with fondant accents if not entirely with fondant. It depends on my mood :P Most websites I've stumbled across advise you to cover your rolling surface with icing sugar to prevent sticking but how to you get the icing sugar off your fondant once it's rolled out?! I don't want the colours that took me forever to knead to come out dusty looking :( I'm the past I've tried brushing them off, which doesn't really work at all. Or waiting till their all placed then gently trying to use a dampened pastry brush to clean them up, this gets their colour back no problem. But if it's a strong colour like red or blue it tends to bleed into the icing a bit (very unappetizing, especially with red) Any tips?

I usually decorate my cupcakes, cakes, etc with fondant accents if not entirely with fondant. It depends on my mood :P Most websites I've stumbled across advise you to cover your rolling surface with icing sugar to prevent sticking but how to you get the icing sugar off your fondant once it's rolled out?! I don't want the colours that took me forever to knead to come out dusty looking :( I'm the past I've tried brushing them off, which doesn't really work at all. Or waiting till their all placed then gently trying to use a dampened pastry brush to clean them up, this gets their colour back no problem. But if it's a strong colour like red or blue it tends to bleed into the icing a bit (very unappetizing, especially with red) Any tips?

You should only have the sugar on one side during this process. That would leave the upside completely free of sugar crystals and clean to use for the outside of the cakes. Perhaps I'm not understanding the question completely but this seems like a no-brainer.

I usually stand letters and such straight up when I'm decorating. So I'll roll the fondant, freehand out some letters, then let them harden before standing them up in icing to be more 3D. Also, icing sugar gets EVERYWHERE when I try and do anything with it, I've washed it off the walls and ceilings more than once :P

icing sugar

when covering larger surfaces, brush off the fondant with another piece of fondant. when making smaller figurines just try to do it in a cool room (or with cool hands) and use as little sugar as possible.

I also saw one lady put the fondant inside a plastic bag and roll it out in there. I never was able to do it myself, but it came out not so dusty : )

i use powdered sugar but I dont know if its the same thing.

then of cause there is the non-stick roling pins, the in and out of the fridge method, the brushing off with sugared water,

i use marshmellow fondant that i make myself and when the temperature is right and the sugar/marshmellow/water/oil ratio is just right, its not really that sticky.

I prefer using cornstarch to icing sugar. you just need a very thin coat on your cutting surface and it doesn't seem to transfer as easily to the rolling pin or cutters and on to the top surface. If it does, you can brush it off much easier.

I used to make a lot of cakes, to tell the truth SP I used Regal ready rolled fondant it a fantastic product.clic on picimg044.jpg

Very nice, Bolas. that's something that I always thought was amazing - cake decorating. I'm not artist so I stick to steak and potatoes.

Nice work, Bolas!

I use a product called "Satin Ice". Great texture, easy to work with and comes in a lot of great colours which can easily be changed by adding white to lighten them or a smaller amount of colouring to make them darker.

I have pictures on my profile, but here's one that really shows fondant at work...and my latest cupcakes.

Attachments

• SheilaDarylCake1.jpg
    SheilaDarylCake1.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 220
  • PandamaniaCake3.jpg
    PandamaniaCake3.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 238
Wow, you guys are FAR more talented than me! Luckily I only decorate for friends and family and they never seem to mind if my decorations are off, as long as they still get something good to eat!

Nice work LP, I have to admit I make the cakes (rich fruit) then marzipan and flat ice, the free hand work is my wifes.:)

Oh, SP, I didn't put my pictures up to make you feel inferior, and I know Bolas didn't either. Quite the opposite (for me anyway), I wanted to encourage you with the things you can do. I have had a lot of other stuff, successful and not so much.

Just do what I did - look at all the pictures you can - here, through a google image search, cake decorating sites and books, etc. and find a place to start. You will be developing your own style in no time.

Cupcakes is a great place to start and they aren't as costly - you can practice and give them away or eat the evidence.

But above all, have fun!!!!!

Nice work LP, I have to admit I make the cakes (rich fruit) then marzipan and flat ice, the free hand work is my wifes.:)
I am not great at piping, but am working on it. I love the British/Australian techniques and have a few books I want to practice from. Maybe you and your wife can give me some pointers when I get to it.

I'll have to find some pictures of my creations for you guys. I'm not terrible as long as I only have a small quantity to decorate, when I get bored I get sloppy :P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom