For Debbie, a great chocolate cake w/buttercream frosting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phil

Senior Cook
I think this is one of the best chocolate cakes ever. When I bake it, call me Mr. piggy. The cake and frosting were published in the Dallas Morning News many years ago. However, the frosting was to be a part of another recipe called the Perfect Chocolate Cake. I combined the two to make what I think is the perfect chocolate cake. Enjoy.

HERITAGE CHOCOLATE CAKE
All ingredients need to be room temperature.
2/3 cup butter softened
1-3/4 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon cinnamon*
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups buttermilk
* this was not part of the original recipe
Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour 2 round pans 9x 1-1/2 inches. (I use cocoa powder instead of flour in my pans)

In large mixer bowl, combine butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Beat until mixture is light and fluffy.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add alternately with milk to creamed mixture beating just until smooth.

Pour into prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans.

CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING

In medium saucepan, combine 6 ounces semisweet chocolate pieces, 1/2 cup half-and-half, 1 cup butter (not diet stuff). Cook and stir over medium heat until smooth. Remove from heat and whisk in 2-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar. Set bowl over a second larger bowl filled with ice, beat with electric mixer until holds shape. Use to frost cake.

oh my goodness!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU SOOOO very very very very much!!! this looks sooo soooo good!!!!

Back
Top Bottom